• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 Penny

7 posts in this topic

I am new to coin collecting. I have been watching videos on you tube to try and to learn as much as possible. I have come across some 1982 copper pennies. They do weigh 3.11 grams. They look to be in good condition. Are they worth sending in to get graded. 

Welcome to the Forum

I would say no unless they are a high grade or have a D mint mark. Unless a coin is worth at least $150.00, it is not worth getting graded. " Good Condition" when determining grade is a low grade so it would help if you could supply clear photos of both sides so we can help with what you have.

You tube videos are usually not a good way of learning. You can learn much more by reading books such as the red book and going on line to the various coin sites. Even reading previous posts by other members is a good way of learning.

Almost all 1982 copper cents are worth just face value, especially if they came from circulation.  I will second what Greenstang said, be very wary of youtube videos until you have learned more.  Some are informative, but many are just clickbait full of false information.  It is really only the 1982 D small date copper that is valuable, and only 2 of them have been found so far.

First thing to learn is stop watching youtube videos until you actually know something about coins.  Then you will know which one s are full of BS (which is a great many of them) and which actually have some good information.

The YouTube channels you should be subscribing to are: Blueridge Silverhound, JBSCOINS, and Yankee Silver Stacking. PCGS and NGC videos are very good also. My advice is to get yourself a 10x loupe and learn the 5 steps of grading coins.

I have attached a Picture of a 1982 D. I took them with my phone. I am looking to get some more information on them. Also what are some good books worth getting on coin collecting?

1982df (2).jpg

1982db (2).jpg

Edited by EDonald