• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric lighting at Philadelphia Mint

12 posts in this topic

We seldom realize that the Philadelphia Mint not only stuck coins and produced dies for the other mints, but was an active testing location for new technology. The first commercial use of electric lighting in Philadelphia was at Wanamaker’s Grand Depot in city center on December 25, 1878. These were carbon arc lights perfected by Philadelphian Charles F. Brush.

Electric lights and motors were tested at the Mint in late 1881-1882.  The letter below shows an inventory of electric lights in use in 1884. Arc lights were bright but blue-white and very harsh. Incandescent lights were warmer in color and equivalent to about a 40 watt modern tungsten filament lamp. There was limited commercial electric service, so the Mint had its own dynamo to generate electricity.

For more information about electrification of Philadelphia City, see::   

https://hiddencityphila.org/2012/06/from-a-corner-of-center-city-the-source-of-light

18840714 Reports number of electric lights_Page_1.jpg

Edited by RWB

12 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Were these carbon-rod arc lights, like the ones used in older movie projectors?

Yes. Bright blue-white light but harsh due to the tiny point of origin. The Philadelphia Mint had them in the M&R Department and Coining Department used them in the Rolling and Cutting Department area. The lights needed a lot of space surrounding them in which to dissipate heat and vapor.

That is so interesting.. Shame there isn't a mail forum or lighting forum or a receipt forum or a mint forum or even a correspondence forum.

Do you have anything coin related or do you not have to follow the guidelines? Knowing what a stickler you are for the rules you may want check them again..

Maybe the water cooler OR even the comics section would be the better option

Adjusters, whose work required persistent reference to fine gradations on a balance, worked under traditional gas lights (usually with a mantle). Later, when the new building opened, electric lights were used. But they were dim critters equal to about 25 watts by today's incandescent light output - this is about the same as the little ornamental lights people put in porch lights.

I bet all those lights helped keep the place warm in the winter...but added to the heat miserably in the Summer !xD

Never realized until I got CFL's and LEDs how much hotter a traditional incandescent bulb is.  They can warm up a room, just like my plasma TV does too. :nyah:

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 10/17/2020 at 1:45 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I bet all those lights helped keep the place warm in the winter...but added to the heat miserably in the Summer !xD

Never realized until I got CFL's and LEDs how much hotter a traditional incandescent bulb is.  They can warm up a room, just like my plasma TV does too. :nyah:

Pull out your daughter's E-Z-Bake oven. Brownies by light bulb.

12 hours ago, RWB said:

Pull out your daughter's E-Z-Bake oven. Brownies by light bulb.

But I have it on good authority that while a light bulb can make Brownies, full Girl Scouts require arc lights. :roflmao:

56 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

But I have it on good authority that while a light bulb can make Brownies, full Girl Scouts require arc lights. :roflmao:

Depends on how "done" you want 'em.