• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peter Lewis Krider medals struck at Philadelphia Mint

7 posts in this topic

This letter states that Peter L. Krider [Philadelphia silversmith] had 71,225 medals struck by the Philadelphia Mint. Krider provided dies and planchets, and was charged $2 per 1,000 for striking the medals. Manufacture would have been between the end of June and the end of August 1884. Do any members know which medals are referred to in the letter?

18840829 P Struck 71225 medals for PLKrider_Page_1.jpg

Edited by RWB

A reliable source proffers these might have been for the 1884 Democratic presidential campaign, or possibly in advance of the New Orleans World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exhibition (opened Dec 1884).

20 minutes ago, RWB said:

A reliable source proffers these might have been for the 1884 Democratic presidential campaign, or possibly in advance of the New Orleans World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exhibition (opened Dec 1884).

I'd put my money on the 1884 RE-PUBLICAN Presidential Campaign medals...as I pictured above. :)  The RNC in 1884 was June 3-6 - so the candidates were known well before your time frame, and the striking.

Edited by brg5658

By the way, this medal is listed as DeWitt JGB-1884-21, and in metal types of white metal, copper, brass, and gilt brass.

Edited by brg5658

...and the grand sweepstakes winner is ---- "brg5658" !

Here's the original estimate letter, which I just found.

18840621 P Estimate sriking medals Krider_Page_1.jpg

The slogan "Good for another term" must refer to the former Re-Publican Party - Blaine & Logan were never President/Vic-President.