• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1978, Lincoln Cent Discovery on foreign planchet

18 posts in this topic

Ok, so; I went through about $50.00 in Change from the bank. I picked up a Lincoln Cent. I found Arabic text and other markings on the coin. The Lincoln Cent looks like gold. I don't know what coin this Lincoln is struck on and if anyone could help identify it, I would be super thankful!

IMG_20200908_214631.jpg

IMG_20200908_214650.jpg

I'm sorry but those marking could not have happened from a cent being struck onto a foreign planchet.  Something was smashed onto or into this coin, it is know as a sandwich job often employing a bench vise.

The 1978 cent looks damaged and of no extra value. In this case, it didn’t matter, but in the future, I advise you not to clean coins. In many cases it reduces their value dramatically.

Edited by MarkFeld

11 minutes ago, MichaelMMcoin said:

There's no way, here is a cent struck on an India planchet. Do you think the same?

Yes I still think your 1978 cent was not struck at the min on a foreign planchet, have you weighed the coin?  Have you done a gravity test to determine the base metal? 

Hello, well I did perform a specific gravity test. Although, I could only get a .3 based on a weight of 3.1 grams. My scale needs to be calibrated I'm sure. I tried other coins such as a 1gram aluminum but couldn't get a reading. I'm thinking my scale could have a sensitivity problem. Although other Lincoln cents with the same weight came to a .4 for 3.1-3.2 grams

Edited by MichaelMMcoin
Correction

SG of .3?  That's pretty good considering the lightest metal, Lithium, number 3 on the periodic chart has a SG of .53

Edited by Conder101

Nope. This is the type of thread that invariably gets me in trouble, but darn it, this is a nothingburger. Post mint damage. Full stop.

11 hours ago, MichaelMMcoin said:

There are patterns, lines and ---script but I can't capture on my camera. There are a total of 10 or more markings scattered throughout the coin. 

Damage, nothing more.