• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has a coin ever been Triple stamped/die??

7 posts in this topic

It looks like something is wrong with this 1961 D penny. Is it build up of material when it was struck? Is that why the D is filled in? Or was it struck multiple times? I'm confused. Please help to clarify thank you. 

Untitled 1_27.png

Untitled 2_4.png

20200904_152621~2.jpg

IMG_20200906_162930727.jpg

Edited by Estate40
So I took the penny out the folder thing and added the pic of the back side.

Welcome to the boards, just to clarify coins are not stamped but struck, and yes it is possible to have double and triple struck elements.  However there are no known examples of any double die coins that I know of for this date/mm.  I think you have a coin that is exhibiting what is known as mechanical doubling which can be either strike doubling (caused by the dies bouncing at impact) or die deterioration doubling which occurs from over use of the dies.  However the coin is very well worn so its impossible for me to be sure which.  Mechanical doubling is very common and can be found for almost every coin and every year.

Welcome to the forum.

I am going to agree with Coinbuf. Extreme die wear combined with extreme wear of the coin.

Edit: Apparently I am wrong. Read the next post.

Edited by Just Bob

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That effect is not the effect of die erosion or circulating wear. It has been subjected to some abnormal abrasive action, such as being run through a rock tumbler. Normal wear looks nothing like that.

2 hours ago, DWLange said:

That effect is not the effect of die erosion or circulating wear. It has been subjected to some abnormal abrasive action, such as being run through a rock tumbler. Normal wear looks nothing like that.

I added a pic of the other side of the penny. If it was in a Tumblr I believe the other side would be all messed up. I don't know how to take a really good pic thru the microscope with my phone.

IMG_20200906_161804339.jpg

IMG_20200906_162939824.jpg

This is why you should always show both sides of the coin when posting.

If not a rock tumbler, then some sort of other damage. It is impossible for what you see to have occurred during the striking of the coin. As far as the mm goes, it may be a broken post. A common occurrence with P & D mint marks.