• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quiz: Why is COLOR important for authentication?
1 1

184 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

I'd be willing to bet that polarization would pay big, if somewhat strange, dividends. I see polarizers with new attributes are now out there. Quarter wave retardation was just the beginning.

Using a polarizing microscope to examine thin sections of mineral specimens is like playing with a colorful kaleidoscope. 

Defects in some metallic surfaces can be detected under polarized light - but additions - putty, fillers, oxides, chlorides, etc. easy standouts, and some have distinctive UV florescence.

1 hour ago, RWB said:

Defects in some metallic surfaces can be detected under polarized light - but additions - putty, fillers, oxides, chlorides, etc. easy standouts, and some have distinctive UV florescence.

I still have a shorter wavelength UV light, from back in the day when I was into stamps. It was a shorter wavelength that lit up stamp tagging, but not "black light" posters. It also lit up scads of Franklin County, NJ minerals. Might it be useful with coins? I had to wear safety glasses to use it.