• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low value coins

5 posts in this topic

Just a quick question. How does one go about getting a coin, that even in 70 condition is only worth $10 or so, graded? I don't want to spend $25 or more to get a $10 value coin graded. Do these coins simply go by owner grading and are good if the buyer agrees?

I cannot think of any US coin that in the grade of MS/PR 70 would only be valued at $10, some at the MS/PR67 level yes but not 70, do you have an example of such a coin?

I have a 1984 S proof dime. I've looked it over several times at 60x magnification and haven't found anything at all wrong. The red book says that PF65 ~ $2.50. I can't imagine it jumping too much if it is a real PF70. How can I get it officially graded without paying so much? 

Edited by Voelker

Well first off the red book is an excellent reference but the pricing is not for graded/slabbed coins.  Second there is no way to have a coin graded cheaper unless you have bulk grading ability which I do not think is available to collectors.  It will be far cheaper and easier for you to purchase one already in a PR70 holder than to submit one yourself. 

I just did a quick search of ebay and there are several available as low as $25.

Edited by Coinbuf

2 hours ago, Voelker said:

I have a 1984 S proof dime. I've looked it over several times at 60x magnification and haven't found anything at all wrong. The red book says that PF65 ~ $2.50. I can't imagine it jumping too much if it is a real PF70. How can I get it officially graded without paying so much? 

None that I know of.