• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

U.S. Mint Robberies

9 posts in this topic

On the PCGS message board a thread titled "THE TOP FIVE MOST NOTORIOUS MINT ROBBERIES" has attracted some interest. What the OP does not understand is that no U.S. Mint has ever been robbed of its coinage. The instances listed in the thread are defalcations or internal thefts by employees - and one is not from the U.S.. The only robbery of any U.S. Mint was removal of some pieces from the Mint Cabinet of Coins and Medals display on September 18, 1858.

There have been multiple defalcations and some of the largest are listed in my book "From Mine to Mint."

22 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'll have to check it out....anybody discussing the theft of the bag of 1928 Saints ?

Obsess much?

9 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

250 1928 Saints go missing and there's not much information about what happened, Kurt.

Should have been a Columbo episode.....xD

At least. And then Perry Mason or Matlock could call @RWB to the stand. :roflmao:They could cast Wayne Knight as @RWB.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, RWB said:

. The only robbery of any U.S. Mint was removal of some pieces from the Mint Cabinet of Coins and Medals display on September 18, 1858.

Closest was probably the robbery of a currency shipment from a Federal Reserve truck outside the Denver mint in 1922.  But neither the truck or the currency were on the Mint grounds.  Although the Mint guards did respond to the robbery.

55 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Closest was probably the robbery of a currency shipment from a Federal Reserve truck outside the Denver mint in 1922.  But neither the truck or the currency were on the Mint grounds.  Although the Mint guards did respond to the robbery.

That was especially interesting because most of the money never showed up, and no one was ever charged. (But the prime suspects were soon in prison on other charges, and I think they died there.)