• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loved one passed and not sure what to do with all I have found -

14 posts in this topic

Good Afternoon everyone -

Unfortunately I am sure you hear this a bunch, but my grandmother passed and I am not sure the best way to go about getting rid of these coins/bills I found.  I am sure some are not really worth anything but others I am not so sure about.  I have tried googling, but it is still all to foreign to me.  Was wondering if there was any websites specifically used for guidance or should I just cruise the forums?  Here is a tally of what I was able to pull out -

MORGAN SILVER DOLLARS -

1x 1882 CC Morgan Silver Dollar - (Excellent Condition - in some fully sealed plexiglass case that says rare)
9x 1921 Morgan Silver Dollar
1x 1896 Morgan Silver Dollar
1x 1880 Morgan Silver Dollar
1x 1878 Morgan Silver Dollar
1x 1880 Morgan Silver Dollar
1x 1899 Morgan Silver Dollar
1x 1885 Morgan Silver Dollar
1x 1901 Morgan Silver Dollar

1x 1899 Quarter Dollar
1x 1928 Quarter Dollar
1x 1845 American Penny
1x 1987 American Eagle Silver Dollar
2x 1976 Bicentinnial Uncirculated Sets
1x Korean War Memorial Coin
1x Mount Rushmore Anniversary Coin
1x United States 1984 Proof Set
1x 2009 District of Columbia and US Territories Quarters Proof
1x Commemorative Bank Note - Colored $2.00 Yellowstone Bill
1x Commemorative Bank Note - Colored $2.00 Grand Canyon Bill
1x Treasury Department United States Mint Philidelphia 1963 Set
1x Treasury Department United States Mint Philidelphia 1964 set

PEACE SILVER DOLLARS -

1x 1925 Peace Silver Dollar
6x 1922 Peace Silver Dollar
2x 1926 Peace Silver Dollar
1x 1923 Peace Silver Dollar

Again, I am sure you get this a bunch.  Thank you for any help in the matter though.  Much obliged.

Welcome to the boards and sincerest condolences on the loss of your loved one.  First and foremost please do not attempt to clean or improve any of the coins as it does more harm than good.  Condition is one of the most important aspects when determining value so that is where we need to start.  From your list many are common coins and their value will be $50 =/- depending on the grade, however a few are worth more again depending on the condition.  If you have a local library I would suggest checking out a redbook and looking up each of the date and mintmarks for the individual coins.  Here is a link to something called Photograde, here you can compare your coins to the photos and decide what grade best fits your coins; keep in mind that as you are just starting out your grade may differ from that of an experienced collector or dealer.  Photograde   Here is a link to the coin explorer area provided by NGC Coin explorer there you can look up your coins and find information on each coin including some general values once you have decided on what grade you think each coin is, very similar to the information available in a redbook.

These will get you started and then I would recommend taking the coins to a reputable coin dealer in your area from this link Dealers and have them reviewed for authenticity and to verify your grade assessment.  From there it will be up to you to decide if you want to sell or hold the coins, if you want to sell there are a few options such as selling to the dealer the you have review the coins (I would recommend getting at least two dealer offers if possible), selling on ebay, and some other options also.

Best of luck and we can answer any questions you have on specific coins if you can provide us with clear in focus closeups of both sides of any of the coins you have.

Ebay is tough if you have never sold there. You need good pictures and set up an account to sell there. For a cost the auction houses maybe a better choice.  They will photograph the coins and do it all for you. Anyway, research which ever venue you want to sell at, if you want to sell, and go for it.

Try posting photos of the silver dollars here. Members will likely be able to help.

Note: There are no commemorative $2 bills - private alterations.

First and foremost, thank you everyone for the information.  Truly appreciate it!

Secondly, I took care of my grandmother the last few years and she has been ready.  Enjoy the time while you have it everyone!

Third - I am not much of a photographer.  I have a slight tremor (wife says I am great with a salt/pepper shaker....love her....) so if anyone would like me to take/retake photos let me know.

Fourth - I uploaded all of the images to flickr.  Made an account just for this.  Here is the link -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189884438@N06/?

Lastly - We have a local coin shop here called Phil's Coins which seems to have good reviews.  I dont want to walk in there and be had though.  I obviously dont mind getting rid of them at a discount because people need to make money to. 

What do you all think of some of them?  I have no knowledge of judging/grading coins, some of them look new for being ~ 100 years old.

Thanks again everyone!

Well I took a look and from what I can see all of the silver; except the 1882 CC Morgan, is really just worth the silver melt value.  I cannot tell about the silver in the small tin as that you would need to go thru each date to see if there is any that are rare, but in general I would expect that most of it would also fall under the silver melt value.  The 1882 CC Morgan I would grade at MS63 from the photos and is worth $170-$180 approximately in that condition.  All in all its a nice collection just not one that has a very high value to it, something that many non collectors are not aware of is that most old coins are not really rare or worth very much unless in great to excellent condition like the 1882 CC.  The lone copper large cent is worth around $15 to maybe $20 I'm guessing.  Just so you know I'm a collector not a dealer so the thoughts and prices I've given you could be low or high depending on how and where you attempt to sell.

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Well I took a look and from what I can see all of the silver; except the 1882 CC Morgan, is really just worth the silver melt value.  I cannot tell about the silver in the small tin as that you would need to go thru each date to see if there is any that are rare, but in general I would expect that most of it would also fall under the silver melt value.  The 1882 CC Morgan I would grade at MS63 from the photos and is worth $170-$180 approximately in that condition.  All in all its a nice collection just not one that has a very high value to it, something that many non collectors are not aware of is that most old coins are not really rare or worth very much unless in great to excellent condition like the 1882 CC.  The lone copper large cent is worth around $15 to maybe $20 I'm guessing.  Just so you know I'm a collector not a dealer so the thoughts and prices I've given you could be low or high depending on how and where you attempt to sell.

One more thing to bug you about Coinbuf if you do not mind.  You mentioning the silver in the tin.  These are the dates that were in there.  Any I should be aware of?

Half Dollars

1x 1942 Half dollar

1x 1946 Half dollar
1x 1949 Half dollar
1x 1951 Half dollar
1x 1958 Half dollar
1x 1964 Half dollar
Quarter Dollars
1x 1942
4x 1954
1x 1951
1x 1958
1x 1957
1x 1948
1x 1943
1x 1953
2x 1944
1x 1962
1x 1938
1x 1945
Dimes
1x 1943
1x 1920
3x 1944
2x 1945
2x 1963
1x 1951
2x 1947
1x 1950
1x 1939
2x 1946
3x 1956
1x 1955
1x 1952
1x 1953
1x 1948
1x 1959
1x 1934
1x 1942
1x 1957
Nickels
2x 1945
1x 1944
1x 1946
1x 1924
2x Buffalo Head nickels I cannot make out a date on.

Apologies about the formatting.

I would check the 1920 and 1945 dimes for a mint mark (D or S), if there is one it will be found on the rev (the side with the axe) at the bottom just to the left of the axe.  Slim opportunity for some value over melt if there are any mint marks.  Also in the photo there is a quarter that has a flying eagle on the rev which I see in the photo but not on your list, check the date and any mintmark (will be on the front just left and above the date) again slim chance of value there. 

15 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I would check the 1920 and 1945 dimes for a mint mark (D or S), if there is one it will be found on the rev (the side with the axe) at the bottom just to the left of the axe.  Slim opportunity for some value over melt if there are any mint marks.  Also in the photo there is a quarter that has a flying eagle on the rev which I see in the photo but not on your list, check the date and any mintmark (will be on the front just left and above the date) again slim chance of value there. 

There are a few with the flying eagle.  Unfortunately I can not make out the date on them so I left them off the list.

Modwriter - Unfortunately just from looking at them, none of them appear to be in super condition (granted, I also have no idea what I am talking about).  I can get some photos up if anyone is interested.

Thank you all again!  Think I am just going to quick sale most of them.

Check the 1924 nickel for a mint mark on the reverse just below "FIVE CENTS". Those mintmarked mid-1920's pieces bring nice premiums.