• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reward Coin

10 posts in this topic

Hmmmmm...wonder why there would be a 1918 pattern half when walking half was two years old. You sure it is United States of America and not United States of Mexico or somewhere else? 

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and say it is a Brazilian 50 reis, since that coin has a large "50" on it, and he said it was a half dollar. But, good grief, the legend is in Spanish and says Brasil in big letters on it! How could it possibly be mistaken for a US coin?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600reis.jpg

59 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Portuguese, not Spanish.

doh!

The sad part is that I actually knew that Portugese was spoken in Brazil, because I had an acquaintance whose wife was from there. Near Campinas, if I remember right. My fingers get ahead of my brain, sometimes. :(

8 hours ago, Just Bob said:

doh!

The sad part is that I actually knew that Portugese was spoken in Brazil, because I had an acquaintance whose wife was from there. Near Campinas, if I remember right. My fingers get ahead of my brain, sometimes. :(

In this case, all of the important words are identical; only the "DOS" and "DO" are different. Shall we "dos y do"?

As always, @Just Bob you are too kind. I think you are giving the OP more credit than they deserve. The coin pictured is too large to be a 50 Réis (17mm). The reason I suggested the coin was a 100 Réis (21.3mm) is because it is roughly proportional in size to the Lincoln cent pictured. 

1 hour ago, coinsandmedals said:

As always, @Just Bob you are too kind. I think you are giving the OP more credit than they deserve. The coin pictured is too large to be a 50 Réis (17mm). The reason I suggested the coin was a 100 Réis (21.3mm) is because it is roughly proportional in size to the Lincoln cent pictured. 

The Lincoln may not be real, either. (: