• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Table - Eastman Johnson's Holey Money

4 posts in this topic

This little table summarizes the reported varieties of one- and five-cent coin proposed by artist Eastman Johnson and Senator Justin Morrill in late 1883. Members who know of omitted varieties or other key data, please PM me or post it.

Table of Johnson Pattern Pieces- for USPatterns.jpg

Edited by RWB

I should add that thick and thin planchet pieces might correlate with alloy, but we have no data on which reach a decision.

14 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I am intrigued by the "octagonal hole with inside rim". How the heck did they do an inside rim?

An inside rim can be made in the die, then cutting the hole after the coin is struck, or with a rimmed puncture die. But the only known example for 1884 is in soft metal. The photos indicate the rim was pushed up from inside the central hole using a graver. 1885 pieces have a circular hole evidently cut after the coin was struck. The inside rim was part of the die just like any other part of the relief.