• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1988 Lincoln doubled ear?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

At first glance I thought what looked like an extra earlobe was just a light colored, worn or polished spot on the coin. I gave it a thorough looking over and discovered it was not any of the above. Looking at the cent from a more flat angle from the southwest  proved to me it was actually a raised image as you can see in the photo. The coin is in pretty decent condition despite the green grime on it. No pitting at all. Extremely little PMD as far as I can tell and I’m NOT even considering cleaning it...... Do I possibly have something here?  Thanks. 

25D93C4A-78CC-49CE-926C-8B0E25CAE52E.png

158DA2FC-A18F-4DE7-8F06-BE6873AA7C84.jpeg

FD91B08E-19B6-48A7-A566-3F7BC0B4D401.jpeg

94D657E1-7C43-4AAE-A638-39A09EDB2B3D.jpeg

I think I’m going to spend more time metal detecting and gold dredging........ I’m definitely  much more successful at those hobbies than I am at coin searching...... lol   Other than my REAL 1998 WAM I posted awhile back, my batting average is approaching -.001. 😁 As always, thank you for your replies. 

Worth a second look but appears to be a linear plating bubble, same appearance and orientation as all the other ones on Abe's face. The discoloration around it adds to the effect.

I take it on good information that yes, Lincoln had another ear very much like this one, on the other side of his head. Mr. Booth apparently objected to it.

44 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I take it on good information that yes, Lincoln had another ear very much like this one, on the other side of his head. Mr. Booth apparently objected to it.

You are correct about that!!😳. Also, last night I decided to “clean”...... (yes, I know that is a sinful act and word in the coin community.....) around the ear of this cent to try to gently remove the green discoloration in order to better see the ear.  I read online that Listerine mouth wash was gentle on coins. Well low and behold it worked great using a q-tip!!!  It did not harm the coin in any way whatsoever and completely removed the gunk from the ear. There is definitely a very slightly raised surface in the same area as my pics. But, I’m now convinced that there is not enough material there to warrant a true doubled image even though it did fool me when I found it . Dang!!!