• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1945 S Lincoln error?

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys and gals, I got this coin in a coin lot someone bought off ebay for me a couple years ago. The 2x2 it is has it written on it that it is an error coin due to weak strike missing letters. From my research and limited knowledge, this would not be true. It appears that it is just extreme wear but want to confirm it with you all. So what say you? Error? Wear? Or other?

20200629_004650.jpg

20200629_004720.jpg

it is not an error that has value. The die was most likely not cleaned properly and still had some crease on it. Some of the letters were weakly struck of even missing upon striking and then the circulation wear did the rest. This is rather common they are referred to as struck through grease , or a grease filled die. They carry no premium and in this condition it is just another heavily circulated cent worth 2 or 3 cents.

Thanks @Moxie15 I didn't even consider the grease issue. I researched error 45's, missing letters and the like but wasn't coming up with anything. So I figured it was just heavily worn ( which it is also along with what you stated ).