• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My newest Morgan

21 posts in this topic

Everyone needs a Morgan, right? I sold all of mine already but just had to buy this one. It's my one and only morgan and it's a keeper...

1880s_1d.jpg

1880s_1d2.jpg

Rookie question here. Those marks on the face, are they from damage or is that the way Morgans look under magnification?

Otherwise, nice & shiny. Me likes nice & shiny. thumbsup2.giftakeit.gif

That's got a heck of a lot of eye appeal. thumbsup2.gif Are those die striations I see on the coin? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
Lots of die polish on the reverse but it's only that noticeable due to the lighting from angles. In person it's not as noticeable.

Rookie question here. Those marks on the face, are they from damage or is that the way Morgans look under magnification?

Otherwise, nice & shiny. Me likes nice & shiny. thumbsup2.giftakeit.gif

They are abrasions caused by other Morgans. Most likely this was in a $1000 bag and was in a relatively protected area in the bag and had a few coins rub against it. There is a 2 point reed hit around 1 o'clock close to the rim where a coin struck it a bit hard. PL coins such as this (really DMPL, though) show marks more readily than frosty morgans so they are given a bit of a break compared to their frosty brethren.

This is in a 66PL holder though I could see it in a 66 DMPL. but I have no intention of selling this so it remains as-is. smile.gif

The reason the coin is PL is due to the die polishing on the reverse--Obviously the mirrors have more than the 8" inchs of reflectivity to call it DMPL.. I have a similar 1879S with polish marks which keep it out of the DMPL designation. Of course at some point the coin will also merit a Cameo designation like they give earlier dollars now.

Nice deep mirrors and great obverse frost.

I can understand why you would want to keep this Morgan.

Great coin. thumbsup2.gif

-------------

etexmike

The reason the coin is PL is due to the die polishing on the reverse--Obviously the mirrors have more than the 8" inchs of reflectivity to call it DMPL.. I have a similar 1879S with polish marks which keep it out of the DMPL designation. Of course at some point the coin will also merit a Cameo designation like they give earlier dollars now.

Newbie questions:

blush.gif

PL? Proof-Like?

DMPL? Deep mirror Proof-Like?

Am I close?

Polish marks? Polishing the die makes it leave marks?

(Yes, I am stupid about all this.) tongue.gif

That is one nice looking frosty coin. I would prefer it to a lot of proof specimens that I have seen.

takeit.gif

66? what about all that.. makeup.. on her face and neck

i was thinking low 60's myself

At 125, I'm sure she will be very flattered and overlook the crack about her make-up.

Chris