• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unstruck rare coin?

10 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum-

What is rare about a coin that has had the face ground off. Called PMD (Post Minting Damage)

If the poster had known that the face had been ground off, he or she probably wouldn’t have referred to the coin as “rare”. 

22 minutes ago, 1917 said:

yeah, just some pmd... Interesting item to look at though

Interesting to theorize about how it might have gotten that damaged without grinding the rims, too.

Interesting to theorize about how it might have gotten that damaged without grinding the rims, too.

Probably with a Dremel or similar grinder. Notice how carefully it has been ground down around the hair ribbon and doesn't touch any of the copy.

20 hours ago, Just Bob said:

very true.... I think that damaged coins can often have a ton of character that higher grades don't. Albeit, they don't look as nice, but it does give a person a reason to buy any C. Barber designed coin (I mean, why else buy one if not for character? #notafanCBarberdesign), plus giving a purpose to any low-grade coin

1 hour ago, 1917 said:

very true.... I think that damaged coins can often have a ton of character that higher grades don't. Albeit, they don't look as nice, but it does give a person a reason to buy any C. Barber designed coin (I mean, why else buy one if not for character? #notafanCBarberdesign), plus giving a purpose to any low-grade coin

Granted tastes vary, but have you ever seen a proof Barber coin? When you see all the detail the designer intended, it does provide a different perspective on his work.

On 6/19/2020 at 11:50 AM, JKK said:

Granted tastes vary, but have you ever seen a proof Barber coin? When you see all the detail the designer intended, it does provide a different perspective on his work.

like you said,tastes vary...I prefer worn Barbers.... not like a g/vg, but more like a f/vf ish...