• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Somebody has a Birthday coming up???
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Why yes. Yes I do! Over a month away still but already got one present from my best Friend. Ok, ok. My only Friend. Lol! Jk. I know they aren't the most sought after Coin but I am thrilled with having the bag itself. Never ever have I ever had a Mint Bag, much less still in tact. Idk what to do with it. Tear into it with the hopes of finding a perfect example or unbeatable Error? Put it away far back into the hidden recesses of my safe for years and hope they blow up in price at some point? I am excited most by the fact that I have such a great Friend that knows squat about coins yet is always the one that comes up with the most odd and thoughtful choices of Coins to give me each year.  Happy Birthday Special K!!!

IMG_20200615_011156~2.jpg

Nice BD present. Friend is a keeper. (Special K) :) I wouldn't know what I should do with it either if it were mine, but I know what I would do with it, see what's in it, :) What are you going to do? SC error search?

Edited by ronnie stein
continue

The Denver minted SC quarters are not some of the more scarce or higher priced coins in  MS68, the highest grade at NGC, and the number graded can only increase, so I don't think the chances of the coins soaring in value is very good. Your only chance of a big score is to find an MS69, or some variety, and that can only happen if you open the bag.

I totally am going to open it tonight. I have been thinking the same things, maybe some 75% Off Center or Blank Planchet or a better something could be in there. Plus I have the bag and that is pretty darn cool.

You have more patience than I have. I would have opened it the day I got it. Also I bet you will find a lot of MD on the incuse copy on the reverse. I read on another forum that about 70% of State Quarters have some MD in that area. 

Early mint coin bags can be interesting in their own right. Most Mint bags were made from cotton Duck of 8 or 9 ounce weight, and without sizing. (Treasury Department bags were made by a contractor after 1886, and were treated with sizing.) There was an entire sewing department at the Philadelphia Mint where bags were sewn and then stamped by the Mint Storekeeper's office.

Here's a Sewing Room report for December 1907 that might be of interest.

19071231 Sewing room cost-coin bag size_Page_1.jpg

Edited by RWB

Yep....coffee bags.  Not cute filters back then. Ground the beans, dumped them in a bag and threw the whole thing in a big pot of boiling water to steep. Until about 1850 there was a female employee whose entire job was to make coffee.

Wonder if there ever was someone who made US Mint birthday cakes....? Probably not, but I bet the lady adjusters occasionally had such celebrations as time and conditions permitted.

@RWB that is really cool. Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately idt my bag was made back then but yeah, I am thrilled to have it.

I still haven't opened it. B6uf hope to get to it today. I'll let y'all know if I find a Missing clad or something.

Older US Mint bags are not especially rare (except for gold bags - which were commonly burnt to recover traces of gold dust) and show up in auctions. Silver dollars bags are most frequently seen followed by quarters and nickels. Cent bags in $10 and $20 values are difficult to locate.

Enjoy your birthday! May your $25 bag contain many error coins!