• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1995-D DDO DDR Close AM??
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Dustin-

In order to help you with the WAM, CAM varieties, I am posting the following illustration. It has been posted many times on various forums so I'm not quit sure who to attribute it to. Notice that the only years with a variety are 1992,1998, 1999 & 2000, any other year the AM is normal.

CAM & WAM.jpg

Great chart, Greenstang - have not seen that before and definitely d/l and saved! Props to whoever created that; thanks for sharing.

38 minutes ago, Kirt said:

Great chart, Greenstang - have not seen that before and definitely d/l and saved! Props to whoever created that; thanks for sharing.

I second that!! Thanks Greenstang. 

Correct me if I am wrong Gentlemen but I think there has been found a rare 1993 WAM out there from my research. Can someone verify if this is correct. Thank you. 

I have heard rumours about this but I have never seen any hard evidence proving it. You would think that if the mint accidentally used a 1992 reverse die in 1993 that there would be numerous examples out there. I don't think they would only strike a couple of coins and change the die again.  In what research did you find this. Would be interested in reading it.

5 hours ago, Greenstang said:

I have heard rumours about this but I have never seen any hard evidence proving it. You would think that if the mint accidentally used a 1992 reverse die in 1993 that there would be numerous examples out there. I don't think they would only strike a couple of coins and change the die again.  In what research did you find this. Would be interested in reading it.

I can’t remember for the life of me where I read that someone had potentially found a 1993 WAM but I do remember seeing something about it awhile back. I am however sure that this time my mind is not experiencing “pareidolia” in having  seen this somewhere online in the past, 😂 I do check the back of every 93’ cent though just in case. If I can find where I read that I will let you know. 

I think the key word in your post is "potentially".  Why was it not sent out to be certified or recorded somewhere? I have seen numerous posts where someone thought they had found a 1993 WAM only to find out it is a CAM that was either damaged or struck from a worn die. Unless someone can produce a certified 1993 WAM, I would have to say that they are non existent.

Can’t argue with you on that one Greenstang. I’d only read about one somewhere in the past. Never saw the actual coin but it was brought up on some forum at some point I do remember. If someone has found one then, like you said, why is it not more well known. Wasn’t trying to mess with this thread, just thought I’d throw it out there for discussion since you supplied that great CAM and WAM reference chart earlier in this topic.👍. Maybe one might just very well show up in the future. Anything is possible. Take care my friend. 

You weren't really messing with this thread, glad you brought it up as I had forgotten about that one. As you say it is possible but highly doubtful that one will turn up. I think part of the problem is that some people think that any space between  the A & M, that makes it a WAM which is not true.

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

You are correct on the AM spacing as it can be very misleading. I have been fooled a few times myself. There are definitely other things to look for which I am sure you are familiar with but thought I’d add to this post for others to realize. Most importantly the equidistant spacing, for a WAM, between the A and two T’s in states as well as the designer’s initials, FG, being closer to the monument devices on a wide AM and further from the monument on a close AM. It’s totally opposite than you’d think regarding the FG initials. Hope this helps anyone that may be new to the hobby.