• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1997 mystery T reverse
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Any input is appreciated. Please notice the T on the reverse between the columns. It’s a 97 and I have not found anything online in my researching efforts to figure this one out. Not to mention it is a beautiful 97. Zero damage on the fields and only a few very minor PMD dents on the E and A on the reverse. The only discoloration on this coin, despite the pics, is just below VDB. Thanks. 

AAAAB860-18A1-4F9C-837D-B564F14B03BA.jpeg

A8C09C43-F530-4E62-8A92-33B55EABA791.jpeg

89720B26-AEC6-4CC3-A461-62E942150245.jpeg

Interesting. As it is impossible for an extra letter or number to appear (unless it was a dropped letter) during the minting process, it must be some sort of PMD. Can't really tell if it is incuse or raised but it might just a be well defined plating bubble. There are other small bubbles throughout the surface of the coin.

Nice pictures by the way, makes it easier when you can actually see what the OP is referring to.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

If it's raised on the coin then it could be a dropped T from the word TRUST. What that means is that metal lodged within the die cavity for letter T, probably from the brass plating of the planchet, became dislodged and fell onto the lower die. It then got compressed between the reverse die and the planchet of a subsequent coin.

This is just theoretical, and it would have to be submitted for Mint Error service to confirm it.

"If it's raised on the coin then it could be a dropped T".

If it is a dropped letter, would it not be incuse on the coin. A dropped letter is usually caused by debri or grease compacting in the cavity of a number or letter and falling out onto the die which when struck would cause an incuse impression.

Possible a clash from Liberty on the obv?  Seems in the wrong place, too far to the center, but the size looks more correct.

Edited to add do you mind if I post your photos on another board, there are some error experts there that might also offer an opinion.

Edited by Coinbuf

11 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Possible a clash from Liberty on the obv?  Seems in the wrong place, too far to the center, but the size looks more correct.

Edited to add do you mind if I post your photos on another board, there are some error experts there that might also offer an opinion.

Hello Coinbuf. Yes sir, you have my permission to post my photos on another board. Thank you for asking and I appreciate your offer. I also appreciate everyone else who has commented on, and “liked”, this coin thus far! Thank you all for your input. 

38 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Possible a clash from Liberty on the obv? 

The T would be upside-down though, right? And it would be in the upper left columns if the dies were aligned properly. Seems like plating bubbles is the easy answer.

5 hours ago, Greenstang said:

...well defined plating bubble.

If it is raised, this answer gets my vote.

I see no hint of a shadow, though, so I am going to say odd toning or something similar.

40 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Maybe we should have asked Greg earlier if the "T" is raised or incuse, that would eliminate certain possibilities either way.

I have been looking at this coin for an hour now to answer this very good question. Depending on which angle it is viewed from, as well as lighting conditions, I can clearly see  a perfect letter T from overhead. If viewed from a much lower angle, meaning looking across the face of the coin to see if there are raised letter, the field where the T is located appears to be smooth with no plate bubbling at all. Not sure if this info helps at this point. Please bear with me on this one until I can take some good photos from different angles and lighting to post. It will be later this afternoon before I am able to return to the forum. Thanks again. 

58 minutes ago, Greg Bradford said:

I have been looking at this coin for an hour now to answer this very good question. Depending on which angle it is viewed from, as well as lighting conditions, I can clearly see  a perfect letter T from overhead. If viewed from a much lower angle, meaning looking across the face of the coin to see if there are raised letter, the field where the T is located appears to be smooth with no plate bubbling at all. Not sure if this info helps at this point. Please bear with me on this one until I can take some good photos from different angles and lighting to post. It will be later this afternoon before I am able to return to the forum. Thanks again. 

Try turning off all lights except for one table lamp or similar light source. Hold the coin at an angle to the light and look at the placement of the shadows that the devices throw off. Is the "T" showing the same shadow, different shadow, or no shadow? Rotate the coin 90 degrees to confirm your finding. The same shadow means it is raised. Different shadow means it is incuse or otherwise different from the devices. No shadow means it is even with the surface of the coin.

Makes total sense Just Bob. I’ll do that when I have a chance this evening. I will post my results. Thanks. 

12 hours ago, DWLange said:

If it's raised on the coin then it could be a dropped T from the word TRUST.

Only if the dropped T is still there and hasn't fallen out of the coin.  Even then it would be flush with the surface not raised.  I think it's going to turn out to be a case of pareidolia.

I've got at least a six pack of pareidolia in me, if not a full case. Under the chair leg under his right foot is starting to look like another T to me.

Edited by ronnie stein

I was able to take the following photos of this coin. I have taken the best pics I can with the equipment I have. Please forgive me for the terminology of these photos as I’m not sure whether to call them flipped, reversed or inverted images. I do know that I was able to bring the fields to the forefront while leaving the devices recessed as you can easily tell. I did try seeing if there were any shadows that were projected from the “T”, whether possibly inverse or raised, and there were no shadows at all. Basically, the “T” is only visible from directly overhead and it is flat. Please standby as I have to resize these photos before they will send. 

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

So, what, in your opinion, is the "T?"

I have no idea. When viewed from directly above the coin (as shown in my original photos) the T is clearly visible without any type of external light source or manipulated lighting. Rotating the coin 360 degrees, at various angles with different lighting environments, does not produce any discernible results as to the T being raised or incuse. I understand that without having this coin in hand it is simply impossible to tell what is going on with it. I believe I should send it in for evaluation.  

In the last two pictures withthe change in angle and lighting the "T" disappears completely.  The eye and brain was seeing something that isn't there.

I think in the end this is simply toning that just happens to align and look like the letter "T" when the light hits it just right.  The fact that it disappears when rotated into a different light orientation pretty much nails it down, its kinda cool but I wouldn't spend money to have it certified.  I did post the op's photos on the PCGS board with his permission and a very well known error dealer on that board said 

"Not a dropped letter - my first thought was the T from Liberty,
but it doesn't line up at all.

Pareidolia, imo"

I’m clear on all the replies. Thank you guys very much for all of your comments and input. I appreciate it. This one was definitely a weird setup, especially not being able to see the letter from “side view” angles and in different lighting. I’m still going to hang onto it in the event I get a better viewing system other than an iPhone, a loupe and a flashlight..... There’s definitely the makings of a T, viewed from overhead, but like you’ve all said it must be something else that would be plausible to make this worth, well... nothing. :) . Putting this topic to bed now. Thanks again to all!

-Greg