• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 penny not sure if DDO? please help?

6 posts in this topic

Raised blobs or ridges of metal on the tops of otherwise normal looking letters and numbers is common. I see it on my Franklin halves. I think you're looking way too closely at this stuff.

3 hours ago, kbbpll said:

Raised blobs or ridges of metal on the tops of otherwise normal looking letters and numbers is common. I see it on my Franklin halves. I think you're looking way too closely at this stuff.

lollol I could say my eyes are getting old.. I'm only trying to do my best. thank you.

23 hours ago, Greenland said:

lollol I could say my eyes are getting old.. I'm only trying to do my best. thank you.

Errors are not my focus, but the handful of true DDs I have seen (all of which are not valuable) are immediately visible to the naked eye. The devices look weird and it immediately causes eye strain. You don't need a microscope or loupe to find them.

If you're going to have DD be a focus of your collecting, Variety Plus will help - here's the one for Memorial cents: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/cents/lincoln-cents-memorial-reverse-1959-2008/819470/?page=1. Take a look at the DD entries; for example look at the '68 and '69 S DDOs. While the '68 is just barely visible to the naked eye, the 69 S is very apparent. If you look at the price guide and do a quick auction search, that will tell you all you need to know: there's not much on the '68 but very specific info on the '69 S. The latter is valuable; the former -- well, it's worth what someone will pay. Yes, it's an error - but it's not an error that is highly collectible. After specializing, you'll be able to tell when a coin doesn't "look right" and is worth a second look; becoming familiar with what to look for to detect really valuable errors will give confidence a gem won't slip by.