• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trying to understand DDR on dimes. and rpm on 1983. On the lettering on the back of the dimes.
1 1

11 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

That looks like damage on the mm, not a RPM.

Where do you see DDO, I see some MD on the left bottom photo.

I have been trying to decipher doubling. I look at the letter RIB and others and they seem to me to be bigger. I thought that meant they were doubled? Apparently I have MD down to a science. lollol 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Die erosion led to a slight expansion of those cavities, making the letters a bit bulged. This is a quality control issue and not a variety.

56 minutes ago, DWLange said:

Die erosion led to a slight expansion of those cavities, making the letters a bit bulged. This is a quality control issue and not a variety.

sad,  It's hard to understand.    i have been comparing my coins to other on line coins and then look the same but they aren't.  lollol so now i have learn something new. I will continue with my search. I was so sure that one of them was a DDR... sad.. thank you for all your help.

@Greenland Doubled Dies, if not flat out obvious, are especially difficult for some of us to see. Easier on the design than on the characters for me. I see what you're saying about the 'extra thickness' that is used as a description on Wexlers site. The Dimes really confuse me too. I've found that since MD is more common than DD, if you see other signs of Die Deterioration then it's likely doubling due to that. Have you discovered error-ref.com yet? Here's a link to their Error Checklist and to their description of each type of Doubling. I hope it helps, cause it didn't help me but does many others. I just stopped trying to find the DD's. Lol!

http://www.error-ref.com/doubled-dies/

http://www.error-ref.com/index-of-entries/

54 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

@Greenland Doubled Dies, if not flat out obvious, are especially difficult for some of us to see. Easier on the design than on the characters for me. I see what you're saying about the 'extra thickness' that is used as a description on Wexlers site. The Dimes really confuse me too. I've found that since MD is more common than DD, if you see other signs of Die Deterioration then it's likely doubling due to that. Have you discovered error-ref.com yet? Here's a link to their Error Checklist and to their description of each type of Doubling. I hope it helps, cause it didn't help me but does many others. I just stopped trying to find the DD's. Lol!

http://www.error-ref.com/doubled-dies/

http://www.error-ref.com/index-of-entries/

I agree with you.. I was using Wexler's web site.. I was confused about the dimes. It seemed they were focused on the stalk and die chip from what I could see. i have had more sales with baseball cards. lollol ..maybe i should sell my record and comic books.. lollol .. I like coins but I just don't have the ability to understand the value. 

@Greenland As far as the value of any Coin, it is however much someone is willing to pay. I know, sounds cliche, but it's true. I found that watching Fb auctions has given me a good idea of monetary value for raw Coins. Idk if you are on FB or not but it's an idea. 

I would never sell an album if I still had any. Had over 2000 as a teenager and my mother trashed them when she trashed us. Albums are making a big come back right now. As far as cards go, my Daddy-O had all Donruss, Topps, Etc from like 195? Boxes of unopened bubblegum packs. Total of 19 file boxes full when he passed. His brother caught him while not in his right head and had him write down that he got them. I was livid but wouldn't fight him. Just wished Dad was still there. 19 boxes.  Plus notebooks full hand written stats for every game ever played since 1952.

7 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

@Greenland As far as the value of any Coin, it is however much someone is willing to pay. I know, sounds cliche, but it's true. I found that watching Fb auctions has given me a good idea of monetary value for raw Coins. Idk if you are on FB or not but it's an idea. 

I would never sell an album if I still had any. Had over 2000 as a teenager and my mother trashed them when she trashed us. Albums are making a big come back right now. As far as cards go, my Daddy-O had all Donruss, Topps, Etc from like 195? Boxes of unopened bubblegum packs. Total of 19 file boxes full when he passed. His brother caught him while not in his right head and had him write down that he got them. I was livid but wouldn't fight him. Just wished Dad was still there. 19 boxes.  Plus notebooks full hand written stats for every game ever played since 1952.

I'm sorry to hear about your brothers. why do people wast so much energy destroying their family legacy. I have a lot of brother too.. lollol My goal is to finish what my mother wanted done. I truly believe it not what you have in the bank it's your legacy you leave behind good or bad!!  it's Sad.. I have so much stuff to sell and no clue how to do it? I have so much family history..  so sad. thank you for your help.

G

I've seen some of this "extra thickness" doubling on Wexlers, and there has to be a definite line or ridge somewhere, that demonstrates actual die doubling. Otherwise it's just a worn out die. Honestly some of these are so microscopic that I have trouble assigning much premium to it.

11 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I've seen some of this "extra thickness" doubling on Wexlers, and there has to be a definite line or ridge somewhere, that demonstrates actual die doubling. Otherwise it's just a worn out die. Honestly some of these are so microscopic that I have trouble assigning much premium to it.

Thank you for your comment. I feel a little bit better since i tried really really hard to use his site and was very confused with some of the pictures.

Thank you again,

G