• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1892 Columbian halves sold to Mint officers
1 1

14 posts in this topic

This letter indicates that a minimum of 15 Columbian halves dated 1892 were sold at face value to Officers and others at face value. Also, that some might be accompanied by letters of authenticity signed by the Columbian Exposition president, Higgenbotham. Does anyone have one of these coins? Is there a story behind it? (The letter is mis-dated "1892" - should be 1893.)

18930106 Additional 10 Columbian halves kept by Mint.jpg

Edited by RWB

As common as these are, a lot of collectors seem to treat them with a kind of "ho-hum" attitude. Having an accompanying letter of authenticity signed by the president of the exposition would make this coin highly collectible, in my opinion.

I agree, and I don't remember seeing or hearing about one with an Exposition certificate. Maybe someone has one.

Probably a long shot, but maybe check with Chicago Historical Society? They supposedly have the first one minted. Who were the top 10-15 bigwigs in Chicago at the time? (I can think of Wrigley and McCormick but they would have been too young).

These 15 were coins that Philadelphia Mint officers and employees wanted for themselves, not to Exposition officials. None of the historical organizations in and around Philadelphia have any of these. A previous letter requesting 5 coins names Superintendent Bosbyshell, Mint Director Edward O. Leech  "...and give the others to such officers as my be your pleasure...." Presumably this would include Acting Director Robert Preston, Philadelphia Mint Chief Clerk Mark Cobb  , and Coiner William Steel...but that omits Engraver Charles Barber, Secretary of the Treasury, Treasurer of the U.S., etc., etc.

The letter should be dated January 6, 1893. Congress did not authorize the coin until August 1892. The fair was supposed to open in October 1892, but did not open until May of 1893 due to construction delays. The first run of 1892 dated coins was struck in November 1892 (950,000 struck). There was also an 1893 dated run of 4,052,000 coins struck, but 2,501,000 were eventually melted by the mint. 

I'm finding a bunch of Columbian Exposition letters that apparently have been unknown. One written in April 1893 complains that the roof leaks badly and the Mint people had to cover their equipment and the coin display cases with a tarp.

20 hours ago, RWB said:

These 15 were coins that Philadelphia Mint officers and employees wanted for themselves, not to Exposition officials. None of the historical organizations in and around Philadelphia have any of these. A previous letter requesting 5 coins names Superintendent Bosbyshell, Mint Director Edward O. Leech  "...and give the others to such officers as my be your pleasure...." Presumably this would include Acting Director Robert Preston, Philadelphia Mint Chief Clerk Mark Cobb  , and Coiner William Steel...but that omits Engraver Charles Barber, Secretary of the Treasury, Treasurer of the U.S., etc., etc.

It seems odd that the exposition president in Chicago asks Philadelphia for 15 coins for "a personal matter of my own", and then sends them back to Philadelphia mint officers. I guess officially all the coin purchases had to go through the exposition?

I thought Barber had one in his personal collection. I was just looking at a list of his collection the other day, but I can't find it now.

A little confusion about reading the letter ---

In a previous letter the Mint Superintendent (Bosbyshell) asked the Exposition president if he (Supt.) could buy 5 half dollars at face value. He was told yes, and Higgenbotham (Expo president) would take care of the cost. A few days later Bosbyshell asked if he could buy 10 additional coins for Mint officers and others. Higgenbotham in above letter says that is OK and he will, again, pay for the coins and also offers to write a personalized letter to accompany each coin.

I note that Lee G (above) says this is new to him - and he has written the definitive, in depth book on US classic commemoratives. (Unpublished as yet....unfortunately.)

Has anyone seen any of these 15 coins possibly accompanied by letters from Higgenbotham?

I think I get it now. The 15 coins never left Philadelphia, they were "retained", those shipments were short 15 coins, and Higgenbotham paid for them when the short shipments arrived, as a favor, and to balance the books. On first read I got the impression Higginbotham wanted to reserve 15 for his own purposes (to dole out to important Chicago people, for example). The "personal matter of my own" now sounds a bit like a CYA thing. If he did write the "autograph letters", they were never together with the coins in Chicago - Bosbyshell would have had to put the letters with the coins in Philly. (Right?) Any indication that he ever wrote these letters?

Edited by kbbpll

Right. So far, it seems no one has seen one of these letters....if any were written.

https://www.chipublib.org/fa-james-w-ellsworth-collection-2/#18931

I didn't see evidence of any "autograph letter", but it's interesting that the very next day, January 7, 1893, Ellsworth is notifying people that the 100 "special issue" half dollars he requested have been "intercepted" by Higginbotham:

"January 7, 1893; typed letter (copy) signed, 1 p. To Edward B. Butler, Butler Brothers Department Store; Member of the WCE Board of Directors; Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, WCE; Chairman of the Bureau of Admissions and Collections, WCE Ellsworth regrets he will be unable to present the 100 special issue Columbian half dollars he promised to various individuals because WCE President Harlow Higinbotham [sic] took possession of them."

There are other letters in this archive referencing these 100 "special issue" coins. I guess these were part of the 103 proof coins? Bosbyshell and Barber both seem to have gotten involved in the "interception" by Higginbotham.

Another interesting tidbit: "March 9, 1893; autographed letter signed, 3 p. Bosbyshell regrets Ellsworth was not in Chicago during his visit, and reports he is sending 15 Columbian half dollars, as requested by Ellsworth. Bosbyshell relays preliminary arrangements for the Mint Exhibit in the Government Building at the Fair. Bosbyshell also refers to a conversation with Harlow Higinbotham regarding Columbian coins #2-101. Bosbyshell writes that he explained to Higinbotham that these first coins were reserved "so whoever got them would feel an especial pleasure in having a certain designater." "

I'm sure this has been thoroughly researched already, but I wonder where these 15 "first coins" ended up.

Actually, much of the material in NNP has not been seen before - including the letters about 15 extra pieces.

Also, Barber made it clear there were no proof Columbian halves made. Some of the first pieces made in 1892 were struck of lightly polished planchets, but that does not make a proof coin.