• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barber dime with unusual error?

5 posts in this topic

Have a barber dime with what looks to be an inverted digit on the date, and magnification under 20x didnt show any signs that it had been altered as far as I could tell.

I have looked and looked but cannot find any mention of a similar error, what it could be worth, or any information on how the type of error occurs.  Any help is appreciated.

20200215_133024.thumb.jpg.15e3e7cd783e6cefe9e6a94e4a1261a6.jpg

Looks like it took a serious hit that moved the metal, which then wore down, or someone was messing around a long time ago and tooled it. I see ridges at the upper left of the damage indicating metal was moved. The date punch would have to have been reversed / mirror image for that to happen at the mint, which is impossible, i.e. the 9 isn't just inverted, it's also flipped. Second image is rotated 180, third is then flipped horizontally.

1901_10_date.jpg

1901_10_date_flipped.jpg

1901_10_date_rotated_flipped.jpg

10 hours ago, Mrflynn32 said:

Im surprised that metal would be able to move that way to make this effect, thanks for your reply and insight :)

Hang around this forum for awhile, and you will see more examples, along with all sorts of other odd looking damage.

Edited by Just Bob