• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 penny !! "Nothing," or "something". Would love to hear your opinion

7 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.

The pictures are not clear enough to see if there is actually any doubling, but they are clear enough to tell it is a large date cent.

I remain curious as to where this notion comes from, that "doubled dies" are valuable, and every new collector is seeing them everywhere. No offense to you @Kenwilson67, it just makes me wonder. I can only think of two off the top of my head that have any astounding value - 1955 and 1969 cents. Where is this hype coming from that makes everybody think they have "doubling" on something? I'm so out of touch...

After 1931 about the only cents than have any significant value in average grade are the doubled die varieties. About the only exceptions to that are the 1943 copper, 44 steel, 1974 aluminum and 1982 D small date copper cents.  So newbes come in and all they hear about are "doubled dies" and their values.  So they start searching with the mindset that they are looking for doubling.  Well wishful thinking and pareidolia kick it and guess what THEY SEE DOUBLING!, whether it is there or not.  And if it does actually happen to be there, they are new and they can't tell the difference between hub doubling, machine doubling, and die deterioration doubling.  So they show it here and we shoot most of them down.

As for the doubled dies with value, yes the 55 and 69-S are of high value, but they pale beside the 58, and although they won't make you rich what newbie wouldn't want his cent worth 1 cent to be a 95 DDo (maybe $50), a 72 ($100 tyo $200), 83 DDR ($100) 84 doubled ear ($100).  Even if it one of the lesser doubled dies they may be able to get $10 and that's a 1000% return.  Who doesn't like the idea of getting a 1000% return.  It's kind of why people play the lottery, yes most of the time you arre going to lose, but would you be disappointed if you spend a dollar and "only" got back a thousand?

5 hours ago, Conder101 said:

After 1931 about the only cents than have any significant value in average grade are the doubled die varieties. About the only exceptions to that are the 1943 copper, 44 steel, 1974 aluminum and 1982 D small date copper cents.  So newbes come in and all they hear about are "doubled dies" and their values.  So they start searching with the mindset that they are looking for doubling.  Well wishful thinking and pareidolia kick it and guess what THEY SEE DOUBLING!, whether it is there or not.  And if it does actually happen to be there, they are new and they can't tell the difference between hub doubling, machine doubling, and die deterioration doubling.  So they show it here and we shoot most of them down.

As for the doubled dies with value, yes the 55 and 69-S are of high value, but they pale beside the 58, and although they won't make you rich what newbie wouldn't want his cent worth 1 cent to be a 95 DDo (maybe $50), a 72 ($100 tyo $200), 83 DDR ($100) 84 doubled ear ($100).  Even if it one of the lesser doubled dies they may be able to get $10 and that's a 1000% return.  Who doesn't like the idea of getting a 1000% return.  It's kind of why people play the lottery, yes most of the time you arre going to lose, but would you be disappointed if you spend a dollar and "only" got back a thousand?

I agree, I will tell you I have made money today! lollol  Just by looking at coins that I used to think were DD and now rolling them and taking them to the bank!! I don't know have of what you guy/girls know about coins but I would keep my silver before I would sell it below price because silver always has a value, to abib coin collectors or when the economy tanks precious metals go up. thank you for all your help and for teaching us newbies.