• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1890cc Morgan
1 1

33 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I have no idea how accurately most collectors grade, but I do know that there are members of this message board who regularly grade coins quite accurately - usually within a point or so of the TPG grade, and they do it from pictures.

Sure, there are a very low proportion who can do so, if they have a good eye and put in enough effort.  I'll admit I am not one of them who can do so consistently, as it isn't meaningful to hardly any of the coins I collect since this coinage doesn't exist in equivalent quality to the overwhelming percentage of US.  My grading of the coinage I collect is "adequate" since I am forced by necessity to grade coins almost exclusively from images but that's about it.  The harder part for me is identifying surface quality on raw coins.

Yeah I think this would do a 60-61 - I dont think you can really call it circulated … too bad the rest of the coin is quite attractive.

Thanks for sharing

On 4/29/2020 at 2:20 PM, RWB said:

Bologna to "market acceptable" nonsense.

The OPs coin, in my view, is MS-60 (or Uncirculated-60) because neither side shows abrasion from circulation or handling such as counting/fingering/sliding in a coin cabinet drawer and so forth. That is - no circulation. Sure it's ugly and banged up which make for an aesthetically undesirable coin, but mint state or uncirculated are self-defining and this coin fits the definition.

The open market will ultimately decide the value of the coin, but the "market" must never define or influence the condition of the coin.

Summary: Condition determines "grade;" Market determines "value."

[Q.A.:  Been mulling this one over for a very long time.

🐓:  Can't muster up the bluster needed to rebut it effectively, huh?

Q.A.:  Pretty much. There is a certain je ne sais quoi finality to @RWB's various pronouncements that make opinion sound like irrefutable fact.  And the most confounding thing about it is I agree.]  :makepoint:  doh!  :facepalm:  (worship)