• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71d cent

7 posts in this topic

20200422_091701.thumb.jpg.318e5751a6039478fc1edf68ae82a4f1.jpgGood morning. I see the machine doubling here but think I see evidence of a doubled die, especially on the date. The 7 may be tripled if there is such a thing. My untrained eye and lack of experience keeps me from being certain of what i think i see. Thank you very much for the help.

Uhm.. yeah so, if you say so. (shrug)

It looks like a flat, shelf - like doubling caused by an improperly tightened obverse die much like chatter caused by a loose tool on a lathe to me.

Look in the Cherry Picker's guide and Variety Vista to see if it is there.

If this were a DDO you have to see all the numbers of the date doubled (or tripled if you like) as well as other areas of the design and lettering.  This just looks like some strike doubling and a possible die chip right at the end of the 7 numeral.  If your convinced you really have something you can always send it to be authenticated, but I really don't think you have anything of value.  Also I'm not aware of any triple die coins in existence, please correct me if anyone knows of one, only a few triple RPM's (repunched mint marks).

Thanks again. Not sure if it was the proper way to do it but i used a plastic toothpick to carefully run it across the coin. Under the magnifier you can see it stop and then feel and watch it rise over the doubled areas. What is confusing is that even though they are raised from the surface, they are not as high as the main devices. Am I correct in thinking a true doubled die should all be the same height from the surface? Got me scratching my head!! Thanks again. Oh yes. Nothing on V. V. That I could find.