• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 d dime error

13 posts in this topic

@D.E -- These are both mutilated coins that were damaged by a coin counter or other machinery. This occurs with some frequency. The 1963-D, which you just posted on this old thread, contains approximately $1.50 worth of silver at the current price of silver, which changes daily. I'm sorry that you took offense at @Greenstang's efforts to encourage you to learn about coins, which can be a very fulfilling endeavor. 

On 11/12/2022 at 9:44 AM, Sandon said:

@D.E -- These are both mutilated coins that were damaged by a coin counter or other machinery. This occurs with some frequency. The 1963-D, which you just posted on this old thread, contains approximately $1.50 worth of silver at the current price of silver, which changes daily. I'm sorry that you took offense at @Greenstang's efforts to encourage you to learn about coins, which can be a very fulfilling endeavor. 

I saw no encouragement given about learning about coins in that post, at least not as worded. I believe you have to join NGC in order to post and D.E was a 2 hour old member. Not every one wants to learn about coins in depth. I think it was curiosity more than anything trying to find out about something they saw as odd.

On 11/12/2022 at 6:33 AM, D.E said:

It was literally just a question. Your condescension is unwarranted. Have the day you deserve.

First as nobody has said so welcome to the forum.  Second, I do not believe Greenstang was being snarky with his reply, unfortunate that you took it that way.   And I will also echo what has been said, your coin (and that of the OP) are simply damaged coins.   If you are interested in learning about coins there are many great sites, not the youtube type of sites that are only looking for clicks and likes; but sites where you can really learn how coins are minted.   With that information you will be able to identify true errors from simple damage that occurs after the coins leave the mint.

@MelGand @D.EWelcome to the forum. @D.EI don't think Greenstang meant his post the way you are taking it, I just think it was a simple observation that often has to be repeated ad nauseam on the forum.

About error coins and how coins are made, see the following link which is an excellent ANA eLearning video about the minting process and error coins (yea, I know it's a YT vid, but it's from ANA ;)) ... ANA eLearning Academy - The Modern Minting Process: Errors and Varieties (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih9q3OpGhpI).

There are a few sites that have good info on error coins such as: Error-Ref.comVariety Vista HomeWexler's Coins and Die Varieties (doubleddie.com), and CONECA (conecaonline.org) just to list a few major ones.

Also, if you are really getting into error coins the real question is often "how much is that error coin worth"?  There are many error coins only worth little more than the coins face value, while others could be worth a decent amount. One good source to help figure that out is a reference book "Price Guide to Mint Errors" (cover attached).

Price Guide to Mint Errors.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

DE, what you might not realize is how many of these we get. The understanding gap here is that after answering several hundred of them over time, sometimes long-timers can lose sight of the fact that you didn't see those hundreds, and that what is for us a deeply tired question (and one on which we get a lot of argument, if you can believe that) is for the new poster a fresh question. That doesn't make it a good reaction, but does explain things. When we get the pushback, our typical reaction is to say: "Okay. Help us understand how the mint could have done this." It always turns out that the poster has no idea, which makes sense because it wasn't possible. This is why my own replies are typically very brief: "Nope, post-mint damage." We are so used to getting told we're wrong that it wears the patience a little thin. As for me, if they argue (as you did not), I say something like: "Great, send it in, spend $60 to find out how little you know." But we should not cut to that chase until we have a good reason.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:33 AM, D.E said:

It was literally just a question. Your condescension is unwarranted. Have the day you deserve.

I looked at this thread HARD. I see no condescension whatsoever in Greenstang’s response. My latest mantra: Culture, culture, culture. There is a unique culture among experienced numismatists, and it’s kinda gruff and matter-of-fact. Watching out for people’s feelings doesn’t tend to be part of the deal. I know it isn’t for me, and it hasn’t been for ANY of my 59 years in the hobby. The culture of new collectors who “cut their eye teeth” online, is obviously far different. It’ll be a tough slog to merge them.

I always want to ask where people got their ideas of what is, and is not, an error. I believe the answer always reveals a lot. Quality Internet sources about that topic are few and far between. A clear MAJORITY of what is online about numismatics is pure BS. 

Edited by VKurtB