• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Day's at the Bank

22 posts in this topic

Being 14, I get real excited when I find coins by getting them from the bank. One time i got a roll of nickles and there was 15 war nickles and 10 1939 and all the rest were below 1950 (no 50'D's).

Just recently, I asked for the new buffalo nickle, but they had last year keel-boat nickles. I quickly got those. On my way home I stopped by a coin shop and sold all but one for 2.50 a roll. An instant 25% profit. I have also found 40% silver JFKs. So my question is, what are some of your findings????

Kennedy rolls always make for some easy pickings for silver it seems. Buy them all, go through them, re roll them, and return.

sell the silver ones on ebay. grin.gif

Jeffersons are probably the easiest to find dates prior to 64. Also for the silver years as most don't stand out like the silver dimes, quarters and halves do.

When I was actively searching thru circulated $200 bags of Jeffs, I could have almost completely filled a long series book from the pickings of 2 or 3 of them. You just have to look at evry coins date. Never know what you'll find! In one of the bags I went thru, I pulled a 1939 DDR in pretty good condition!

great thread and congradulations on your finds thumbsup2.gif

many good collectors here just ask if you have ANY questions at all

welcome to the boards thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Cool finds, I used to do the same as you at around your age. smile.gif Recently I picked up a proof NJ quarter in change, the piece is mighty beat up, but it was still neat to find.

Cool finds, I used to do the same as you at around your age. smile.gif

Makes me dizzy to consider such a stretch of geologic time. Well before your descendents invented the first of human languages.

By the way, Weather11, yours is an excellent story! Keep up the hunting!

Hoot

You have to get into string theory and contemplate the destruction and re-birth of universes in order to understand the time frame I am coming from. wink.gif

Being 19 I still have enough free time to search though change. I purchase a couple hundred dollars of pennies a week. Also when halfs are available, I will buy them. I have made some great finds thus far. I found a 1922 no D, strong reverse in G-4 grin.gif . I have found thousands of wheat pennies (about 10-15 for each $25 in pennies). Around 100 or so 40% silver halves. A few Indian Head pennies. Around 30 or so of each Franklin and Walking halves. And around 60 90% Kennedy's. One time I purchased around $200 in halves, there were several rolls of all silver coins, it was amazing. Keep searching, good coins are out there.

I used to search through bank rolls when I was a kid, too.

(although I had to fight off the dinosaurs on my way to and from the bank, of course! grin.gif)

I think your best bet these days is to go through half dollar rolls - lots of people find 40% and 90% halves in them.

You might want to make a regular circuit of all the banks in your area and try to make friends with the tellers - they might save some things for you.

Being 14, I get real excited when I find coins by getting them from the bank. One time i got a roll of nickles and there was 15 war nickles and 10 1939 and all the rest were below 1950 (no 50'D's).

Just recently, I asked for the new buffalo nickle, but they had last year keel-boat nickles. I quickly got those. On my way home I stopped by a coin shop and sold all but one for 2.50 a roll. An instant 25% profit. I have also found 40% silver JFKs. So my question is, what are some of your findings????

Well... since you asked... My wife handed me a roll each of halves, quarters, and dimes when she got home from work (bank teller) tonight. Out of $25 face there was $22.85 in 90%. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Tom and Hoot: You two make me feel as though I am at the terminal end of Universal Expansion.

We hold you in great esteem from our distant posts. wink.gif

BTW, you're red-shifing again. laugh.gif

Hoot

BTW, you're red-shifing again. smile.gif

That's what I tell my wife when I'm driving and we're approaching a traffic light-

Don't worry Honey, the light looks green to me, you must be red-shifting again!

This is actually a true statement! 893whatthe.gif

It would be great if the banks around here would carry halves. They don't. Not even if you ask nicely. They say no one wants them. Duh! I want them! I go in and ask every other day. I guess I need to ask EVERY day, huh!?!

At any rate, I have been getting rolls of quarters. No silver in there. Nothing older than 1981. A few 1998's in good shape though. I think people were hoarding the 1998's when they found out the quarters were going to change. I could be wrong, but I have been getting loads of 1998's and some in really good condition, like they have not seen much circulation.

I find some state quarters in really good condition too. But how many of those can you keep? I have medicine bottles that are just the right size for quarters. I have limited myself to one bottle per state. I think they hold about $10.50. At least when 2008 rolls around, I will have a nice chunk of change to show for it. Enough to buy some cool coins.

I have been going through roll after roll of cents that I have on hand from pocket change over 10 years. I have found some really nice wheat backs and pre 1982 AU cents that are still red and no scratches. I have the best luck with cents.

My boss gave me a bucket, probably $50 worth of wheat cents that her aunt had saved. I have not had the chance to go through them yet. I am not even sure what to look for. Anyone have any suggestions? I know 1955 doubled-die, but what else to look for?

Well... since you asked... My wife handed me a roll each of halves, quarters, and dimes when she got home from work (bank teller) tonight. Out of $25 face there was $22.85 in 90%. 893applaud-thumb.gif

After going through over $500 in quarters and dimes in the past 3 months, I don't know whether or not to believe you. hahaha! I believe you. There just is NO WAY I will ever find silver in Tallahassee. Someone is going through all the change my banks get before I get to it. [#@$%!!!]! frown.gif

You're right! Most banks don't carry halves, but you can ask them to order them for you from the FRB.

Chris

You're right! Most banks don't carry halves, but you can ask them to order them for you from the FRB.

Chris

Unfortunately they won't listen to me. frown.gif They don't order from the FRB, but from Brinks. I have tried different banks and credit unions. They all use Brinks for their change. But, that won't keep me from trying other banks.

After reading this thread, I decided to get a few rolls of halves from my bank. I ended up getting 4 rolls and nothing very interesting out of it (some nice looking coins, but no silver).

I started spending the money today at a McDonalds and a Target. At both places the cashiers had to look at the coins about 4 to 5 times. The woman at Tartget started holding them up to the light to see if they were real (not sure is she was looking for a water mark or what). I assured her they were not counterfeit.

So I recommend doing this. If you don't find any interesting coins, at least you can laugh at the cashiers who don't recognize the money.

you may need to go on vacation to a large city or several large cities and approach the banks there. go out of state for this and i think you'll have better luck.

niel

Yes, I need a vacation. Now, how to convince my wife to go to banks while on vacation in order to purchase halves. smile.gif Hahaha!