• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 P Lincoln Cent: grading
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I found this beautiful coin in a bank roll a few days ago. After looking up the HA and PCGS values I am wondering if I should send this in for grading. The patina on this coin is better than the pics show just FYI. I have never before submitted a coin for grading and would appreciate any input. Thanks!

-Greg

2CCCCA27-002A-4830-8FA0-AD0A6CE89385.jpeg

65D45919-B32D-4712-A571-A4C2111710EB.jpeg

I'd say its value ranges from $0.03 to $0.05, so investing $30-60 is not money you will see again from it someday. If money matters.

The coin has numerous little nicks and dings, which would keep it from grading very high on the MS scale. I would call it MS63, but that is just my opinion from one set of pictures. And that is assuming that the bits of discoloration on Lincoln's hair, face, and shoulder are not an indication of very slight wear. The NGC price guide gives a retail price of $60 for a 1976 cent in MS67Red, and I don't see yours reaching that grade. It is, however, a really nice circulation find. (thumbsu

By the way, kudos on doing your own price research on Heritage, etc.

Just read all the informative posts. Thank you guys so much for your input!! I have been using the PCGS app and Lincoln Cents online to try to start learning what to look for in grading coins as a “newcomer” to this arena. It’s a bit overwhelming but I am slowly programing my AU mind....  Thanks!

That coin would be an excellent album addition, if your not filling an album my suggestion is to place it in a 2 X 2.  Take good photos (before you put into the 2 X 2) that show the color well and put it on ebay as a $.99 starting price auction, toned coins are very popular and you might get some bids.  Its an extremely well struck coin but as others have pointed out the numerus small ticks, nicks, and circulation marks don't make it a good candidate for grading. 

1 hour ago, Greg Bradford said:

Just read all the informative posts. Thank you guys so much for your input!! I have been using the PCGS app and Lincoln Cents online to try to start learning what to look for in grading coins as a “newcomer” to this arena. It’s a bit overwhelming but I am slowly programing my AU mind....  Thanks!

The nicks and dings look pretty big when it's blown up like this, but remember that until they get to 69 and 70, they are graded with the naked eye. The magnification remains useful, though, for detecting cleaning evidence and such like. The memorial reverse has a way of betraying dings on the building because it has so many straight lines that enable one to spot even small breaks. What stood out to me were the fields, which show the collective impression of the many micro-dings that help us identify a circulated coin.

This part about building dings is also true with Jeffs with the Monticello reverse, so much so that designations of five or six full steps exist and are much sought after. We get those all the time and have to point out to hopefuls that the little scratch across just two of the internal steps knocks their coin out of the designation.

Hello JKK. That is new info to me regarding the grading process. I assumed all coins were graded under some type of magnification. I did get a better, higher magnification, loupe today and I can surely see the small dings on the effects and fields of this coin. Thank you for that information.