• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 P Lincoln Cent, possible DDR
1 1

10 posts in this topic

As I have previously said in the past, I am not into posting frivolous items. I am trying to learn here on this forum and to date everyone that has responded to my posts have been OVERWHELMINGLY supportive, nice and more importantly informative. I came across this 1975 P cent today and as always I look at both sides of a coin before I throw it into my “keep pile” or my “return to the bank pile” (obviously I keep all of my copper)...... 

So, when I looked at the reverse of this 1975 I clearly saw, under a simple 10 power loupe, what is pictured below. Based on many many expert comments and opinions on this forum I have come to realize (well... I think I have learned.... ) the difference between a true DD and die deterioration as well as MD. 

Based on what I see here, and my knowledge of die deterioration, MD and PMD this, to me, just doesn’t fit the bill of any of the above. It looks to me that there is true doubling on the letter A, S, and on the O of “OF”. Maybe I’m way off base here, as I know from my research that there has never surfaced a DDR 1975 P, but who knows.....  Please look at the A. The doubling is slightly higher than the actual effect. It’s hard to see in my pic but there appears to be doubling on the E as well. As always, any input or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all!!

-Greg

B35B193E-10F3-4736-9D54-E015854319D9.jpeg

Looks like strike doubling from what I see in the photos, would need to see the serfs display some splits to call in a true DD and I just don't see any of that.  The "A" of states does look close at first glance but its seems that the second "A" is lower in relief and shelf like compared to the main letter strike which is a clear sign of strike doubling.  In a true DD both the main strike and the second strike will be at the same height away from the field.

If you don’t mind, would you look at the O in OF, it definitely shows a split on the letter. In addition, the bottom of the S in STATES is slightly missing it’s serif in relation to other coins of this year. Once again, I will try to take some better pics for you. Thank you for your time!!

-Greg

That is Machine Doubling.

Here is a explanation with a photo I borrowed from the CCF that might help explain the difference. Note on yours how the secondary  image is lower and the devices are thinner. A sure sign of MD.

Machine Doubling
1. Always cuts away at the normal thickness of the devices affected. This in effect makes the device that stands out in relief thinner than it should be.
2. Has a step-down appearance to the 'doubling' which lacks character, boldness, and thickness.
3. Never shows 'notching' at the corners of the devices because the original die used to create them does not have this notching.

Hub Doubling
1. Always has extra thickness to some degree - in other words, the doubling never robs from the normal devices to cause the doubling.
2. In many cases 'notching' shows at the corners of the devices where the overlap in hubbing occurred. Just look at the picture, find 'notching', and this statement will be very clear.
3. Hub doubling actually creates a secondary 'set' of devices, which is apparent when looking at the doubling. It has relief - character. Machine Doubling only flattens parts of the only set of devices that exist, because there was no doubling in the die that created the coin.

Machine Doubling.jpg

Edited by Greenstang

Greenstang is right.  Notice how the center curve of the second "S" in "STATES" is thinner than the first "S." That means metal was moved during the process of striking. On the die, they would have been the same size. (Not accounting for die wear, etc.)

Not a doubled die.

Hello gentlemen. Thank you very much for your input and for that excellent diagram Greenstang. I was really hoping that I’d found a true oddity but sadly not so.... darn. You guys are truly a plethora of information and I value your years of experience and expertise. I’m going to keep on looking though as this has become somewhat of a passion!! Thanks again!!👍