• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error coins

13 posts in this topic

Screenshot_20200317-220941_Messages_1584501006097.thumb.jpg.580c921bb3d0eb0fc42d6b7bec493649.jpgScreenshot_20200317-220941_Messages_1584501006097.thumb.jpg.580c921bb3d0eb0fc42d6b7bec493649.jpgHow is the value determined on an error coin? Ihave a 1902 Indian cent  and I know the Indian cent isnt all that valuable but mine has a little2 on top of the right side of the 0 in1902. How much Screenshot_20200317-220941_Messages_1584501006097.thumb.jpg.580c921bb3d0eb0fc42d6b7bec493649.jpg does this add to the coin, is this a known error?

I see the 2 your talking about at the eleven o clock position of the 0 it's not big enough to be anything of importance sometimes little imperfections resemble numbers and letters 

Sorry, I don't see the 2. I see an extra 6 to the right of the actual 2, but nothing where you're pointing it out.

The "little 2 " is on the left top of the 0 not right op 

A clearer picture and a picture of the entire date would help rule out a possible rpd 

24 minutes ago, B.C said:

The "little 2 " is on the left top of the 0 not right op 

A clearer picture and a picture of the entire date would help rule out a possible rpd 

What does rpd stand for? And here are pictures of both front and back  of the coin

123_1_1584501089232.jpeg

123_1_1584501119039.jpeg

RPD = re-punched die; it means the die that was used to strike the coin had been used previously and then re-punched with a new date or mint mark. The whole coin pics are a little small to tell but I don't see any signs of one. Next time, try zooming in as far as you can and taking as high a resolution picture as you can, then crop around the coin so it is the majority of the image.

That's a circulated Indian Head and so not particularly valuable; on the obverse there's some raised-looking areas. I can't tell if that's gunk or corrosion. If it is green, it's corrosion and I recommend you sell it for what you can get for it; someone will buy it. If it is just gunk, leave it alone. Other than those areas and an unfortunate rim ding at 6 o'clock on the obverse, it's a really solid 1902.

11 hours ago, Kirt said:

RPD = re-punched die; it means the die that was used to strike the coin had been used previously and then re-punched with a new date or mint mark.

No.  A RPD (Re-Punched Date) is a die where the date was punched in, the die sinker was not satisfied with the depth or the placement, so they placed the punch on the die an hit it again.  As a general rule a die was never used, altered, and then used again.  Only two instances come to mind, both in 1806.  The 1806/5 quarter and 6/5 half dollar.  And that would be called an overdate, not a repunched date.  And that is the only cases where a die is known to have been used before and then again after the overdating.  All other examples of overdates before 1907 are the result of a new date being punched into an unused and non-hardened die of the previous year. (After 1907 they are the result of a Doubled Die, with the die being first hubbed with hub bearing one date, annealed, and then hubbed with the wrong hub, one bearing a different date.)

12 hours ago, Kirt said:

RPD = re-punched die; it means the die that was used to strike the coin had been used previously and then re-punched with a new date or mint mark. The whole coin pics are a little small to tell but I don't see any signs of one. Next time, try zooming in as far as you can and taking as high a resolution picture as you can, then crop around the coin so it is the majority of the image.

That's a circulated Indian Head and so not particularly valuable; on the obverse there's some raised-looking areas. I can't tell if that's gunk or corrosion. If it is green, it's corrosion and I recommend you sell it for what you can get for it; someone will buy it. If it is just gunk, leave it alone. Other than those areas and an unfortunate rim ding at 6 o'clock on the obverse, it's a really solid 1902.

The raised area's are corrosion, so would the little 2 be considered an error? And im still wondering who determines the value of an error and how they do so?

The 2 is not an error. There is no 2. What you are suggesting is impossible to happen. The only time an extra letter or number can appear is if you have a dropped letter. You are imagining something that isn't there. 

16 minutes ago, Tinkerpixie said:

The raised area's are corrosion, so would the little 2 be considered an error? And im still wondering who determines the value of an error and how they do so?

The blunt answer there is the market. If people will pay more for an error, that elevates its value. The market will not pay more for that little surface irregularity, therefore it doesn't get recognition.

I recognize the dissonance here: how come some errors are errors, and how come others are just manufacturing defects? All you can do is ask the market. If you want to test your theory, offer your coin for sale on Ebay and see what offers come in. We know that people will rarely pay more for die deterioration doubling, mechanical doubling, weak strikes, minor surface irregularities, and so on, but you have every right to list your coin and test that principle.

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

No.  A RPD (Re-Punched Date) is a die where the date was punched in, the die sinker was not satisfied with the depth or the placement, so they placed the punch on the die an hit it again.  As a general rule a die was never used, altered, and then used again.  Only two instances come to mind, both in 1806.  The 1806/5 quarter and 6/5 half dollar.  And that would be called an overdate, not a repunched date.  And that is the only cases where a die is known to have been used before and then again after the overdating.  All other examples of overdates before 1907 are the result of a new date being punched into an unused and non-hardened die of the previous year. (After 1907 they are the result of a Doubled Die, with the die being first hubbed with hub bearing one date, annealed, and then hubbed with the wrong hub, one bearing a different date.)

Thank you for the correction. Apologies for the wrong info!

I’m going to “blow your mind”. The majority of the coin hobby doesn’t care about error coins at all. True. Swear on a stack of Bibles.