• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1901 liberty head

5 posts in this topic

I have inherited this coin from a relative many years ago, and would like to know if it is in a good enough condition to send for grading. An approximate grade would also be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

DSC_1324.jpg

DSC_1325.jpg

I'd think it would be worthwhile just to have definite authentication (or not). In the pics, the color looks odd, but the detail could be AU-55 to MS-63. That would put it in the $500 retail range.

That kind of looks like a cleaning and retoning

Nice details and I am not seeing anything that says its not authentic.

It may come back as cleaned as below the "S" looks vigorously so, BUT, it will be protected for the coins future protection.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I will definitely send the coin to NGC for grading, and post the result once I have it back. I think the patina in the photos above may look odd because I took them with a camera flash on, in hope of getting a better surface detail. The actual color is more of a warm yellow, and both sides look the same. I am attaching a photo I took without a flash -- the color still doesn't look right, but I think the patina is much more obvious. Can't believe how different the photos with and without the flash look now that I see them posted!

The coin has been in my possession for 51 years. It has been stored safely, and I am sure that no cleaning has been done to it during that time. I inherited it from a great-aunt, and I think that she has also had it in her possession for a long time. Not sure if she had attempted any kind of cleaning, though. DSC_1325.thumb.jpg.348b273d5448a6c5b48657d11c202115.jpg