• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about grading

7 posts in this topic

hi

If the coin is MS66 grade and if the coin is cleaned
What grade does it receive?

Are they given that grade ( MS66 cleaned  ) or just (MS cleaned) or (cleaned) ?

Edited by Mti

If a coin is cleaned it can receive a details grade i.e. MS details cleaned; or if the cleaning is too harsh it may be deemed ungradable and returned to the submitter not in a holder (often times referred to as body bagged) with a label on the flip that may say cleaned or damaged.  This is handled differently by each TPG on a case by case basis. 

On 3/15/2020 at 8:05 PM, Coinbuf said:

If a coin is cleaned it can receive a details grade i.e. MS details cleaned; or if the cleaning is too harsh it may be deemed ungradable and returned to the submitter not in a holder (often times referred to as body bagged) with a label on the flip that may say cleaned or damaged.  This is handled differently by each TPG on a case by case basis. 

Thanks for the guidance
I am using Google Translator . I try to have the correct wording.

This coin had a grade of Au58 or MS61 before cleaning
And it had a lot of small scratches
Is the coin now receiving a higher degree than before?

What grade is the coin

Edited by Mti

In order to request a grade for any coin we must have photos of both sides. People could also better help you if you were to identify the date and denomination. I can see that it's a Pahlavi era Iranian coin of some amount of riyals, but without the date and denomination, I can't go looking for comparisons.

22 hours ago, JKK said:

In order to request a grade for any coin we must have photos of both sides. People could also better help you if you were to identify the date and denomination. I can see that it's a Pahlavi era Iranian coin of some amount of riyals, but without the date and denomination, I can't go looking for comparisons.

Thanks
I want to know if the coins cleaned have a separate grading ?
The coin had a lot of scratches before cleaning
Cleaned by mechanical devices

The cleaned coins have separate grading ?

Edited by Mti

A coin determined to be cleaned typically gets a grade like: AU Details, Cleaned. (Or Whizzed, Damaged, whatever applies.) If you know the coin to have been mechanically cleaned, you can just about guaranteed that it will receive a Details grade if it receives any grade at all. The services are rather good at spotting cleaning evidence.

The reason I hoped for a full attribution was so that I could do some searching. Unfortunately, I believe that the denomination is written out, and I don't know the names of the numerals in Farsi. I believe that date is SH 1352, which was 1973 CE; the last Shah, Muhammad Reza. Since I can't look up the exact coin, I can't go looking for comparative examples to find out what it's supposed to look like. Good luck.