• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Planchet error?

7 posts in this topic

Amateur collector for many years. Stuffed this away 25 years ago and have never got an informed opinion about what it is. Rather than assume, can anyone give me a little guidance? Weight is 2.68g. Thank you in advance. 

C.J. 

1958d Obverse.jpg

1958d Reverse.jpg

Edited by C.J. Jarhead

Welcome to the Chat Box

It looks to me like someone may have tried filing down the rims to make it the same size as a dime, hence the lighter weight. You can see this in the unevenness of the rims.

Thank you! I've thought of that very thing however the raised rim makes me skeptical about filing/grinding. I've seen examples struck on foreign planchets that at first glance appear similar in shape and size to that one. Would you recommend I submit it for grading? If you don't mind, can you tell me if someone treated these coins with a substance after they were struck or can this result "naturally?" I appreciate your time and advice. (sorry for the poor quality).

1945 obv.jpg

1945 rev.jpg

1968d obv.jpg

1972s obv.jpg

What does the edge look like on the 1958? Coin looks bent. Your other coins look plated, painted, or otherwise messed with, to me.

3 hours ago, kbbpll said:

What does the edge look like on the 1958? Coin looks bent. Your other coins look plated, painted, or otherwise messed with, to me.

It's not bent. I think it's beautiful but I have no idea what caused it. 

1968d Rev.jpg

1968d Toned Obv.jpg