• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Julian calendar coin?

16 posts in this topic

So browsing I found a coin stamped JC, with 668 below it. In the mid 14th century Europe converted from the Julian calendar of 668 days. As for the reverse I have no idea. Can anyone help me out with this coin?

F6CBEFD0-01C5-4670-80E0-0D3CF03CB568.png

24BC78F7-00B7-414E-A156-4920552D627B.png

No offense, but you're kinda going off the deep end here, Ratzie. No calendar anywhere on this planet ever had 668 days in it.

Well it’s a real thing funny enough tracking lost leap year days for more accurate decimal units if time. Because 11 days were lost and dates were being doubled the king wished to switch to the Gregorian calendar which is what we subscribe to today, however the colonies did not officially accept until 1754.

577A121B-C23B-48B8-9D1B-1929C769ECA4.png

It's evidently some sort of accounting token - possibly for picking olives, kumquats, turnips or noses. The digits are punched in with metal stamps. The side with a design might refer to the value of the token to the bearer - "one centime" or "one cent."

I see absolutely no connection to any calendar including the Mayan "Long Count." (See: https://maya.nmai.si.edu/calendar/calendar-system .for a simplified explanation.

7 hours ago, RWB said:

It's evidently some sort of accounting token - possibly for picking olives, kumquats, turnips or noses. The digits are punched in with metal stamps. The side with a design might refer to the value of the token to the bearer - "one centime" or "one cent."

I see absolutely no connection to any calendar including the Mayan "Long Count." (See: https://maya.nmai.si.edu/calendar/calendar-system .for a simplified explanation.

Alternative theory: it's a time tag similar to those used in mining. They're usually punched through in some spot but there's a lot of rim damage which might be a loop or something being ground off the edge. Completely agree on the calendar point.

I don't know what it is, but I have to say that the idea of interpreting it as having to do with the Julian calendar is a thoroughly loopy one. It might be productive to try and remain closer to logical probability and rational possibility, starting by asking: why would anyone make a token of this sort for reasons related to the Julian calendar? What benefit could that bring anyone?

The 1 C seems to me to offer a much more promising theory: a company token, perhaps. The typeface looks 1800s or early 1900s. Lots of Western towns had company stores and in some cases change shortages, and paid employees in company store credit. There's probably a good catalog of those and there are probably great online references with pics, and this one looks to have a unique design. As for the JC 668, once you find out what the concentric circle thing and 1 C on the other side mean, you'll probably find out what the JC part might mean. One key to searching catalogues, besides plenty of coffee and time and patience, is to pick a very identifiable detail and hunt hard for that, blow off anything that doesn't have that particular detail.

Newman Numismatic Portal (NNP) has lots of catalogs and reference materials available. Everything is on-line, and free. Recommend the OP try that for this item and future "finds."

5 hours ago, Kirt said:

it's a time tag similar to those used in mining

That was also my first thought - a miner's "lamp check". The 1 C may not be a denomination. It could be a department code or something. Not all of them had holes. It's rather crude so maybe some fly-by-night operation somewhere.