• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1830 Half Dollar Questions

4 posts in this topic

Would you recommend getting this coin graded.  What factors should you take into consideration when deciding to get a coin graded.  Selling coins like this is best done how?  What value would you place on this coin

20200302_222453.jpg

20200302_222353.jpg

There's an arclike scratch on the obverse around 10:00 that might get it a details-damaged grade, but it also looks like it might be on the plastic surface of an airtite (except that the coin appears to be out of holder completely). Looks like about VF. I am not sure that having it graded would raise its value much if it slabbed (I'm not expert on that).

People like busties, though. My Coin Values mag says $120 for VF, and that's usually about 35% high and assumes it's not damaged. Dealer would probably give you $40-50, sell it for $95-110,  would be my guess.

19 hours ago, JKK said:

There's an arclike scratch on the obverse around 10:00 that might get it a details-damaged grade, but it also looks like it might be on the plastic surface of an airtite (except that the coin appears to be out of holder completely). Looks like about VF. I am not sure that having it graded would raise its value much if it slabbed (I'm not expert on that).

People like busties, though. My Coin Values mag says $120 for VF, and that's usually about 35% high and assumes it's not damaged. Dealer would probably give you $40-50, sell it for $95-110,  would be my guess.

I recently saw one at a local dealer in 30/35 (graded by NGC) for about $90.