• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1856 Flying Eagle Penny Authenticity

8 posts in this topic

I would not get my hopes up. It might be the camera lens refraction (or diffraction, or infraction, whatever in hell term applies), but they both look off. Since CV has these listed for $9K, and they were pattern coins, they are very uncommon and likely to be heavily counterfeited. I would check their weights. A FEC should weigh 4.67g in mint state, slightly less with light wear.

26 minutes ago, JKK said:

I would not get my hopes up

Agree, I think they're both fake. The giveaway to me is the floating leaf tip on the reverse at around 4:00.

All real 1856 FEC's are proofs/patterns. We would have to explain these having circulated. I've seen in my hand about 6-7 real 1856's. These do not look right.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

We would have to explain these having circulated

I was thinking that as well, but ran into one on Heritage that looks to be about VF and subsequently messed with. https://coins.ha.com/itm/patterns/1856-p1c-flying-eagle-cent-judd-181-pollock-213-snow-5b-high-r6-pcgs-genuine-pcgs-11793-/a/1233-5155.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515  Of course, I knew nothing about these until I started poking around.

8's in the date are wrong, thin and skinny.  I think the 1 is wrong as well.  I don't see the chip in the ball of the 5.