• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin design "under the influence"

7 posts in this topic

Lots of odd things in the mint records, but I was intrigued by this. Was it a popular theory during this time? (The author seems confused about which coins he's referring to).

"April 16, 1900

Dear Sir,

To satisfy many people here, will you kindly give the reason why the heads on silver quarters, halfs [sic] & dollars, since 1892 has been turned around - before 1892 the head faced to the left - now it faces to the right.

Also is the Eagle on said coin since 1892, the American Eagle or Roman Eagle.

A minister of the Adventist [?] church here, claims the above change was under the influence of the Roman Catholic Church - I claim not. Your reply will be awaited with pleasure.

Ty. C. Plimpton
La Farge, Wis."

rg104entry229box112_0376.jpg

Notice the letter head says "Compton's Furniture Store," but to the right is a cemetery cut and the phrase "Undertaking A Specialty." They also sell organs, but not sure if they are the playing kind or the cadaver kind....  :)

Evidently, the author had forgotten about the earlier Flowing Hair and Draped Bust coins, which had Liberty facing right. The Capped Bust and Seated Liberty coinage changed her to facing left, but the Barber and Morgan designs were just a return to what had been before.

I wonder what the reason behind the alleged " Catholic Connection" was supposed to be.

@Just Bob they got you too. Morgan portrait still faced left. Took me a while before I went, hey, wait a minute, what? The "many people here" part made me wonder if this "Catholic influence" thing was a widespread notion, but now I'm thinking maybe it was just a local preacher's pet conspiracy theory.

Sewing machines, organs, undertaking... paging Mary Shelley!

RE: "Anti-Catholic" religious connections. For starters see "Know Nothings," and well before that the almost endemic Protestant-Catholic warfare roving about Europe. The Terra Maria (Maryland) colony was designed as a safe haven in the New World for Catholics. Anti-Catholic bigotry was commonplace and poor Al Smith, Democratic presidential candidate suffered through incessant threats. Through the campaign and Presidency of John Kennedy there was a constant drum beat of sentiments such as "Kennedy will do what the Pope wants, not what is good for America." There remains quite a bit of this among certain protestant groups.

There are letters in the Mint archives where officials express concern about "Know Nothing" sentiments among employees.

Hmm, another one a few months later, 600 miles away. Clearly it was all a vast Catholic conspiracy.

"Dear Sir,

Will you please explain why, the Roman Eagle was substituted for our American Eagle on the 25 and 50 c silver coins of the US since 1892 and why the tips of the Roman Eagle's wings should divide the sentence "United States of America" and is there any cause for (this, these?) change of the head of the Goddis [sic] of Liberty and if so who suggested the changes.

Answers to the above questions will be thankfully received and appreciated.

Your very truly, A. M. Heifner"  (Jerico Springs, MO, July 19, 1900)

rg104entry229box119_0121.jpg