• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oversize Holders

1 post in this topic

Whoever makes the decision about the size of the oversize holder should know that NGC got it right.  The latest size of the oversize holder is PERFECT.  You found the right dimension that will hold just about every size coin and every size medal that exists.  By varying the width you allow the same older outer dimension to remain and stack with the others in a collection.  Additionally, whatever testing you did about ergonomics is spot on!  The holder feels good in the hand just like the smaller holder does.

I assume that a lot of study went into the size change a few years ago.  I haven't seen much written about it and I don't know why.  I think collectors are a little confused about oversize holders from NGC and from PCGS.  It has been a hodgepodge of sizes and that makes a collection look very untidy--like a dealer junk box.  The size of the oversize holder needed to be standardized.  The width could vary, but the outer dimensions needed to be the same.

Perhaps if NGC does some publicity on the oversize holder and signals that this one is here to stay it might encourage collectors to re-holder (as I did), and get their large coins and medals finally certified and slabbed (I am doing that).  It might also encourage third party manufacturers to make boxes and clear wrappers (I found clear wrappers that work, but I would love to get an intercept shield box).