• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1952 d dpm? better picture

13 posts in this topic

I don't see anything on VarietyVista for 1952 Franklins. The image of the mintmark shows something on the bottom right of the D but I have no idea what it is.

What I do see, though, is a coin that looks off. Maybe it's the pictures but the detail is missing and it's really shiny for that kind of wear. It looks polished, or flat. Unfortunately if the images are accurate, the coin is damaged.

12 minutes ago, Bink2090 said:

its probably the LED lights on this usb microscope. they put a hellacious glare on a nice coin. I found it on franklinlover.com. there is a picture of it from the cherry pickers guide.

http://www.franklinlover.yolasite.com/rpms-1952-d.php

Thanks for the link - I agree, what you have there doesn't match what he's showing for '52s. Have you reached out to him on that website?

Now that I'm seeing your other pictures, I wouldn't have even recognized that as the same coin! LEDs are bad if that's what washed out that surface.

Edited by Kirt
clarification

49 minutes ago, Kirt said:

Thanks for the link - I agree, what you have there doesn't match what he's showing for '52s. Have you reached out to him on that website?

yes they suck lol. guess ill submit the picture to a couple of websites and see if they find out what it is. I did find this dpm on the 1949 D franklin on the website you mentioned, I think.

WIN_20200110_16_38_53_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200110_16_39_43_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200110_16_39_51_Pro.jpg

Not trying to burst your bubble, but do you notice on the picture of the '49D, and the other pictures on that site, how the underlying mint mark is rounded, and the one on your coin is flat? That leads me to believe that yours is strike damage (aka machine or mechanical damage), which happens during the minting process. It is not the same as a re-punched mint mark, and does not usually command a premium.

While you have your scope out - what is going on with the first four letters of "UNITED?"

Edited by Just Bob

10 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Not trying to burst your bubble, but do you notice on the picture of the '49D, and the other pictures on that site, how the underlying mint mark is rounded, and the one on your coin is flat? That leads me to believe that yours is strike damage (aka machine or mechanical damage), which happens during the minting process. It is not the same as a re-punched mint mark, and does not usually command a premium.

This may not be the hobby for me. lol. I cant tell the difference. pretty bad at this. 

I'm sorry to have to break this to you, but the entire idea of USB microscopes is a highly controversial one. Some people swear by them, especially the people who sell them. Others believe they are one of the worst curses ever perpetrated on the hobby. I think they have their limited uses, but are not the best approach.

1 hour ago, Bink2090 said:

This may not be the hobby for me. lol. I cant tell the difference. pretty bad at this. 

Well, I'm pretty bad at this too but I keep on keeping on. Just admit mistakes and learn from them, and try to read as much as you can. If you focus, you'll be really good at an aspect of it before you know it.

Ok, for the differences on the '49D and your '52D, look carefully at the shape of the base of the D at the left-hand side. What @Just Bob said is indicative of a double-punched mint mark, as you can see clearly that the underlying D has a serif shape (the "tail" coming off the bottom left of the D) that the top D does not. That's not what your '52 D has...your '52 D has one or potentially two shoulders to the right and bottom of the D. The difference is that shoulders are commonly caused by worn dies. However, a different font for the D can only be caused by a re-punched mint mark or someone goofing with the coin after mint, which isn't the case on either coin.

Make sense?

Personally - I find errors tedious. If I see something, I'll mention it, but I don't deliberately look for errors. I remain convinced that apart from the blindingly obvious ones, any premium associated with them will be lost over time, as collecting fads come and go.

Don't give up just based on this! 

Edited by Kirt
can't tell my left from my right.

8 minutes ago, Kirt said:

Well, I'm pretty bad at this too but I keep on keeping on. Just admit mistakes and learn from them, and try to read as much as you can. If you focus, you'll be really good at an aspect of it before you know it.

Ok, for the differences on the '49D and your '52D, look carefully at the shape of the base of the D at the right-hand side. What @Just Bob said is indicative of a double-punched mint mark, as you can see clearly that the underlying D has a serif shape (the "tail" coming off the bottom left of the D) that the top D does not. That's not what your '52 D has...your '52 D has one or potentially two shoulders to the right and bottom of the D. The difference is that shoulders are commonly caused by worn dies. However, a different font for the D can only be caused by a re-punched mint mark or someone goofing with the coin after mint, which isn't the case on either coin.

Make sense?

Personally - I find errors tedious. If I see something, I'll mention it, but I don't deliberately look for errors. I remain convinced that apart from the blindingly obvious ones, any premium associated with them will be lost over time, as collecting fads come and go.

Don't give up just based on this! 

I appreciate it. just trying to pick up to much at once I guess. lol

On 1/10/2020 at 6:20 PM, VKurtB said:

I'm sorry to have to break this to you, but the entire idea of USB microscopes is a highly controversial one. Some people swear by them, especially the people who sell them. Others believe they are one of the worst curses ever perpetrated on the hobby. I think they have their limited uses, but are not the best approach.

what would you recommend?

A couple of points that I see - 

with your microscope it looks like you are trying to angle the coin to get the highlights you are trying to see. I believe the doubling you wish was there is a

lighting anomaly.

Microscopes have specific uses and if used properly can show what you need, that being said, they have a LOT of drawbacks.

I still use my phone for most of my coin photography

on full manual mode.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:40 PM, Bink2090 said:

yes they suck lol. guess ill submit the picture to a couple of websites and see if they find out what it is. I did find this dpm on the 1949 D franklin on the website you mentioned, I think.

The Franklin 49 D is a totaling different look than your as its what is called a shifted left ( D/D West) variety.

Yours if is a true shifted down (D/D South) you can see the differences from your coin hence why everyone is not convinced.

good luck

imho

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Both are strike doubling, aka machine doubling. NGC sees too many of these "varieties" every day.