• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1878 S Trade Dollar value question

7 posts in this topic

I'm new to collecting and purchased this trade dollar online. Upon receipt it appears to have been cleaned and polished. It has great details as a newbie, I'd place it around the MS64 if it were not cleaned. Could someone please help me with the actual value of this coin?s-l140.jpg.f0c6ac22668f76c2ac6134cac89c10c6.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I'd be concerned about authenticity as well as surface treatment. Did you buy it from a reputable dealer who was a member of the standard trade organizations? If so, where? If not, also where?

After taking a look at the feedback as well as the inventory, I wouldn't buy from them for any reason.

It was sold as "AU Detail" (on the 2x2) and I think that's your best case scenario. There's 11 of them sold on Heritage in the past year, $132-288, average $215, and that includes buyer premium (20%). (Search HA for "1878-S T$1 AU Detail" and sort by most recent). Worst case scenario, I'm not convinced that it's real. Maybe it's the pictures and the polishing.

I sure wouldn't purchase from a seller who blasts a spotlight on all their coin images. I got blinded scrolling through their sold listings.