• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1854 Half Dime Strike Error

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I think I may have found something pretty cool here.  I've done a lot of research on this seated liberty half dime and haven't come across anything like this.  The 1854 date stamp overlaps the bottom of the Seated Liberty image.  The coin measures 0.608" in diameter x .030" thick, weighs 1.217 grams.  According to a calculator I found online the metal is Nickel C-276, which falls in line with the nickel coins of the era.  Any thoughts on this thing?

2019-12-31-181031.jpg

2019-12-31-181055.jpg

2019-12-31-181155.jpg

I think it is a normal silver half dime.  Diameter is right (spec is 15.5 mm in inches that is .610 inches just .002 different from what you give.) Weight is within tolerance for a silver half dime of that year (1.244 grams +/- .03 gram)

Nickel C276 has a density of 8.89 g/cm^3, so a half dime planchet made from it would have a weight of 1.07 grams.  Well less than what this coin weighs.  I don't see any reason to think it something other than a silver half dime.

15 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I think it is a normal silver half dime.  Diameter is right (spec is 15.5 mm in inches that is .610 inches just .002 different from what you give.) Weight is within tolerance for a silver half dime of that year (1.244 grams +/- .03 gram)

Nickel C276 has a density of 8.89 g/cm^3, so a half dime planchet made from it would have a weight of 1.07 grams.  Well less than what this coin weighs.  I don't see any reason to think it something other than a silver half dime.

Huh.  That's interesting.  And very cool.  Silver's always better than nickel.  Thanks Conder!