• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help classifying my error coin
1 1

3 posts in this topic

so i am new to the coin collecting game, kinda.  ive been putting coins aside for awhile now, and recently decided to start tryin to find their values.  i have this coin, 1951wheat penny, flat on rev. but still has normal wheat penny rev. visable.  its not the wrong image or anything its a norml wheat rev. just completely flat and image is light.  the obv. is oddly struck.  its on a normal penny planchat or w.e the normal size for penny, its copper, it has the typical obv image for wheat penny, but the center of coin is the size of a dime, this portion is raised above the rim. the L in liberty is not there due to the rim being recessed and the raised portions edge sits right where the L should be.  i  hope that makes sense...  it also looks like there is lamination effects around the entire inside edge of the coin, or there is extra material, not sure if thats correct but i dont know how else to describe it.  there is also  lamination effect underneath liberty on the edge of either the extra fill or lamination effect, if that makes sense.4f735e02a30a662b2619fe740b0060569e830e28-84.jpg.70c71e20c184f0b0db617f5074ace779.jpg

4f735e02a30a662b2619fe740b0060569e830e28-14.jpg

The Newbie Coin Collecting Questions forum is a good place for these questions.

The quality of the photos provided, combined with the advanced state of wear on the coin, makes the coin just look pretty heavily worn.