• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know of any good coin publications, websites or resources

7 posts in this topic

I want to get more into the collecting of coins besides basic silver and gold bullion but I lack the knowledge to know where to start. I just wonder how do you guys know so much about ancient coins and where can I attain that knowledge. I have been collecting bullion coins for about two years now, but I don't know anything about older coins.

There are some good books I could recommend on ancient coinage, if you want to read narrative. However, the ways I learned most of what little I know were:

1. Buying the common reference books and looking up coins I didn't understand
  2. Taking the ones I still didn't understand to a mentor, where I learned which reference books I was still lacking
  3. Posting the ones that still eluded me to websites where they are basically identification gods, and seeing what references they used and how they evaluated the coins

It takes some time and effort. If you want somewhere to start, find a used copy of Aorta by Rasiel Suarez, buy some loose late Roman bronzes, and then try to figure out what you've got. That's more or less what I did.

You will also need to start learning new alphabets. Start with the Greek and Arabic. Cyrillic, Devanagari, and Hebrew can be helpful. None of them are that difficult.

16 minutes ago, JKK said:

There are some good books I could recommend on ancient coinage, if you want to read narrative. However, the ways I learned most of what little I know were:

1. Buying the common reference books and looking up coins I didn't understand
  2. Taking the ones I still didn't understand to a mentor, where I learned which reference books I was still lacking
  3. Posting the ones that still eluded me to websites where they are basically identification gods, and seeing what references they used and how they evaluated the coins

It takes some time and effort. If you want somewhere to start, find a used copy of Aorta by Rasiel Suarez, buy some loose late Roman bronzes, and then try to figure out what you've got. That's more or less what I did.

You will also need to start learning new alphabets. Start with the Greek and Arabic. Cyrillic, Devanagari, and Hebrew can be helpful. None of them are that difficult.

Wow! Sounds like a big commitment. Right now, I am a bit too busy to put in the needed time to learn, but I will get a copy of the Rasiel Suarez book. I will retire in a few years and I will use that time to make a full commitment. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by BeKindCollector

The nice thing about it is that it's not an exact science. Not every coin issue in world history has been catalogued. You have excellent odd of finding pieces that aren't in any catalogue.

Also, as in the discipline of ancient history, you will find that there are many very kind and helpful people eager to share what they know. I don't know what it is about antiquarians, except that perhaps something about them sees newcomers with passion for what they themselves find so engrossing, and feels an urgency to share.

You might want to start planning a library budget. I would not be surprised if, up to this year, I had spent more on books about ancient coins than on ancient coins themselves. Most of the important references are out of print and not cheap. Some online references can be good, but the solid volumes are the backstop.

8 hours ago, JKK said:

The nice thing about it is that it's not an exact science. Not every coin issue in world history has been catalogued. You have excellent odd of finding pieces that aren't in any catalogue.

Also, as in the discipline of ancient history, you will find that there are many very kind and helpful people eager to share what they know. I don't know what it is about antiquarians, except that perhaps something about them sees newcomers with passion for what they themselves find so engrossing, and feels an urgency to share.

You might want to start planning a library budget. I would not be surprised if, up to this year, I had spent more on books about ancient coins than on ancient coins themselves. Most of the important references are out of print and not cheap. Some online references can be good, but the solid volumes are the backstop.

Thanks for the reply. It is interesting to know that you have spent more books of ancient coins than the ancient coins themselves, but I bet you really enjoy every book you receive. The hobby is the fun the part and learning is part of the fun.