• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help me identify the movie about William Gray and his theft of presidential error coins from the Philadelphia Mint

5 posts in this topic

I'm editing a book manuscript based on the theft of coins from the US Mint by security guard William Gray. The details seem very familiar, in fact I think I saw a movie with the very same story line. I cannot remember the name of the movie and I haven't been able to find a reference to it online but I'm sure I've seen it.
Can you help me identify the movie about the story of William Gray, a former Philadelphia police officer, and his theft of presidential error coins from the Philadelphia Mint?

Are you sure it wasn't a TV crime show? I can't imagine making a full length movie out of it. "Guy steals coin. Guy sells to dealer. Repeat 10,000 times. Guy gets caught." Sounds kinda boring as a movie.

It wasn't Coin Heist, but it might have been a movie made for TV as opposed to a theater released film.

The plot involves a retired Phila police officer working at the mint as a security guard. He steals thousands of presidential coins without the lettering on the edge by sneaking them out in his coffee cup when he goes outside for a cigarette.

As I've read through this manuscript I know I've seen this story before in the exact same detail. The author of the manuscript claims it to be their original unpublished novel.

Is this book supposed to be fiction or non-fiction?  Because it pretty much exactly follows the real life theft of non-edge lettered coins from the mint in 2007 including the name of the Perp.