• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Look at these holders
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Does anybody here use either of those two grading companies? Ive got about 40 coins in holders from them , that were a part of this collection I recently inheritated and was hopong for some feed back 

15751987118221275231171170514682.jpg

I think most people would agree that the top two grading companies for US coins is PCGS and NGC. Not to say others are bad, but most collectors will not spend the same amount for coins in other holders with similar grades. Of course there are exceptions.

The Morgan $ on the right was graded by ICG. They are very reputable. You can have faith that the coin is authentic and the variety attribution is accurate. However, I would not expect it to cross into a PCGS or NGC holder in the same grade.

I cannot recognize the other holder. I would not have confidence in that one.

NNC is a "basement slabber" who I believe is the same as a high volume seller on ebay "centsles". In my observation and limited experience, about all you can trust from them is that the coin is authentic. They are almost always way overgraded and ignore problems like cleaning. In an inherited collection such as yours, you should not believe that the grade on these NNC slabs corresponds to any realistic estimate of value. You will have to learn to grade them yourself or take to someone reputable. Before ebay cracked down, they would list their NNC "grades" and people thought they were getting great deals for "MS65" coins that were not even uncirculated. Now they cannot even show their grade in images of their slabs, but they still get away with it.

I agree with the assessment of ICG above.

8 hours ago, BlakeEik said:

I think most people would agree that the top two grading companies for US coins is PCGS and NGC. Not to say others are bad, but most collectors will not spend the same amount for coins in other holders with similar grades. Of course there are exceptions.

The Morgan $ on the right was graded by ICG. They are very reputable. You can have faith that the coin is authentic and the variety attribution is accurate. However, I would not expect it to cross into a PCGS or NGC holder in the same grade.

I cannot recognize the other holder. I would not have confidence in that one.

In my very, very short couple months since ive inherited this hobby, I agree about PCGS AND NGC being the top 2. And have been steering clear of those 40 coins.LOL .Getting everything togather, cataloging everything and trying to learn everything i can dont leave much time for it.

I wouldn't worry about the ones in the ICG Holders, I would leave them. As stated they are pretty reliable, in fact they are one of only four graders that eBay will allow listings showing the grade. The other grader is a basement grader who has a poor reputation. You would probably be better off taking those coins out of the holders.

3 hours ago, Jcov said:

In my very, very short couple months since ive inherited this hobby, I agree about PCGS AND NGC being the top 2. And have been steering clear of those 40 coins.LOL .Getting everything togather, cataloging everything and trying to learn everything i can dont leave much time for it.

Did you want to inherit it? I mean to say, is it something you have interest in / had prior interest in or are you just finding yourself with it?

I have a couple of kids of my own and I have no idea if they'll have any interest in these things when I'm gone but it is something I wonder about sometimes.

Edited by Revenant

Ive never known anyone that collected coins so no prior interest and until he passed away I had no idea about his coin collection so wasnt expecting anything. First instint was to SELL SELL SELL, but once I started sorting thru some of it that all changed, found out Its definitly somethinjg Im interested in. Doubt Im gonna sell much if anything.If they dont take an interest at least make sure they know enough about it to where they wont get ripped off