• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update 1942 white metal penny

21 posts in this topic

The penny also has the lavender toning, and the literature states that there are multiple metal compositions to the white metal pennies. Mainly tin and antimony. The penny displays a silvery appearance with golden hues. It comes in heavy at 4.414 grams.

BDEE87F2-5594-4355-AD51-79FE8227956A.jpeg

BF2804C1-D861-4043-8E8F-84E5FFA8E8C7.jpeg

2C8DD7AA-EC34-4298-90D9-B3C01D581A94.png

Edited by Ratzie33

I just saw this beautiful love in the sunlight and I am SURE it is real. It looks like a steel penny only lighter in color with flints of grey and silver that radiate through sparkling golden hues. I understand the skepticism for a fairly new user and that’s fine. I know what I have and intentions to get it graded. Thanks for your time. I’m in shock.

Photograph it on the scale, then photograph another wheat cent on the same scale for us (to make sure weight is accurate - I really don't trust 4.414 grams on something like this). The normal cent should weigh 3.11 grams give or take. *Edit: Wait a minute, on your other thread you said 3.414. You really need to get your act together and present accurate information whenever you post. Put this stuff in ONE THREAD*

Photograph it between or next to another normal wheat cent so we can see the thickness. Visually your coin appears thicker than normal but it's difficult to tell.

@RWBwrote the book on the WWII experimental coins. There are two in there approaching your weight - RB 42-12 at 3.9 gm and RB 42-X2 at 3.87 gm. The RB 42-X2 is described as "copper surface with silvery under metal showing at rim" but that could be anything, don't want to get your hopes up.

It would help for you to say where/how you obtained this coin. Finding a WWII experimental in the wild, with the normal 1942 dies, would be highly unusual. Work on your photography skills and get cropped, clear, focused images taken from directly above the coin on both sides.

Edited by kbbpll

2 minutes ago, Robs-Coins said:

I see the weight is 3.400 , can you now weigh another wheat same year if you have one if not another wheat . On the same scale and take a pic . Or maybe calibrate the scale again it could be off .

Oh , did you take it to the coin shop like i said ? What they say ?