• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

strange error 2 rupees coin

18 posts in this topic

Offhand it looks like the die started to deteriorate. If you think about it, those raised areas around the rim are areas where the die's normally sharp edge is. I think this is what, if it were a rarity, would be called a late die state.

Just now, qwertyu1 said:

can you explain the above quote

A die has a life cycle. It will eventually wear out, break, or otherwise fail due to the effects of being used many times to push into metal hard enough to force some metal to the outside and other metal up into all the devices. An early die state coin was struck with a relatively new die; a late die state one was struck with a die that was nearing the end of its useful life.

The term applies here, but we typically use it in cases of older coins where there were small numbers of dies and we have identified each of them. For example, I have a 1794 US cent that has a crack through the date, which makes it a specific one of dozens of obverse dies (fewer reverse dies are known, IIRC). In an early die state, maybe that crack had not yet begun and the die is identified from other peculiarities. In a late die state, maybe that crack was the die's upcoming point of failure and would be at its longest and deepest. So unless this ₹2 coin (Nolda mint?) happens to be uncommon, no one is likely to track its various dies and die states.

18 minutes ago, qwertyu1 said:

so is it a common coin or uncommon???

Don't know. My guess would be fairly common, since the issue is likely very common and a country with India's population would need to mint a lot of coins.

21 minutes ago, qwertyu1 said:

can you give me the links of images of late die state coins similar to mine

No. However, you are welcome to seek them out if you wish. Also, bear in mind that my guess of a deteriorating die is just a guess. I could be incorrect.

Edited by JKK

Could be collar/die alignment problems. Barber dimes from New Orleans frequently show similar "damage", although it's on top of the rim and not nestled up against it like this coin. Just a thought. Not knowing what a normal one looks like it's hard to tell exactly what you're talking about.