• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964-D 25c - Odd Mintmark

4 posts in this topic

I'm not sure what to make of this one. It looks like a Small D over Medium/Large D. The prominent "small D" is shattered in three places, with two chunks hanging off of it. There are several "D/D North" RPMs on Wexler's and Coneca but I haven't matched mine to any so far. There is a WRPM-006 on Wexler's with a similar appearance, but the D/D is rotated and south. Small, Medium, and Huge D are shown in Cherrypickers under 1952-D for comparison with the 1952-D Huge D variety, but no context as far as where the other MM sizes were used. Overall the reverse seems like a normal AU to me. Thoughts?

IMG_4348.JPG

IMG_4341_crop.jpg

IMG_4351_crop.jpg

Here is the Wexler's WRPM-006 for comparison. The arrow seems to be indicating notching of the D/D, but zooming in to me it looks like cracking of the upper left similar to mine but not as severe.

1964-D_Wexlers_WRPM-006.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's an example of repeating strike doubling from the die having been slightly deformed at the mintmark.