• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One heck of a freebie.........I have a great friend

20 posts in this topic

So I have this friend that I have known and worked with since around 1995.....we even moved to a different company together. She is older than me and I have gotten to know her and her hisband quite well over the years. Unfortunately her husband died of cancer a little over a year ago and they were never able to have kids due to his illness.

I have been right there with her through the good times and the bad and we shared a love of coins. Although she wasn't much of a collector, she always loved to see the coins I purchased and she would always pick up a SAE or two every year for her husband.

I have given her quite a few coins over the years and every Christmas she always found a way to have a coin or two under the tree for me as well as presents for my wife and kids....she always over did it!!!

Well this year for Christmas she gave me a 1st year of issue Proof Platinum coin that belonged to her late husband and I was moved a quite honored that she thought enough of me to pass along one of her husbands coins to me.

I found out at the end of last year that she is moving across country to live with her mother, which sadened me greatly,even though I knew it was what was best for her. She said she had some coins that belonged to her husband that she wanted me to look through to see if I wanted any.

The group consisted of the standard.....about 20 SAE's, about 10 silver rounds, a small bag of foreign coins and the coins I had given her over the years. She also had 1 circulated Morgan in a little baggie that caught my eye.

I told her I couldn't take any of the coins as they were her husbands and she should keep them.....of course she wouldn't hear of it. So I looked through the SAE's and picked out one she had a duplicate of. I also told her that I really liked the Morgan and that I would buy it off of her rather than just accepting it as a gift.

Again she wouldn't hear of it so I picked up the Morgan and noticed it was an 1890-CC.....so not just your average $8.00 circulated common.. 893whatthe.gif I told her that the coin had some value as it was a better date and she basically said she didn't care what it was worth as I liked it so it now belonged to me.....the women is a saint I tell you.

It wasn't until I got hom and looked in my VAM book that I determined that this was the Tail Bar version...which only added to the value hail.gif. I don't think I have ever been so mezmerized by a circulated Morgan...but this coin is just a solit original problem free coin that hasn't been cleaned or messed with.......I love it cloud9.gif

Sorry to run on and on...but people don't give me coins like this everyday and frankly...I have no idea what it was doing with the rest of the common bullion...but there it was in all it's glory 893applaud-thumb.gif

The coin is actually a little darker than in the scan.....never cleaned...just honest wear thumbsup2.gif

1890CC.jpg

Nice story and a kind gesture on the part of your friend. I'm sure you'll treasure that Morgan form years to come. This kind of providence adds great emotional and contextual value to any coin.

Hoot

That kind of history on a coin is why I like collecting them. Some of them may look like crud and fubared to death but the sentimental value could never be replaced by dollars. Just think of the stories some of these coins could tell.

you know i hate to say this, but there's a strong possibility that she will drop coin collecting as it may bring back memories she may not want to face. the indicator was parting with anything you may want. you got first choice and offered for free as a close friend. your friendship i'm afraid may also be inline with this thinking by her and would be nothing against you, but memories. this has happened to me before with a friend of mine, but different circumstances as it wasn't a death involved. the result was the same, offering me stuff of value including coins and hasn't been seen or heard from since by me.

niel

Well I hope not as she wants me to come visit her in California...but you never know. We have been close for so many years it's going to be tough to see her go. When you find kind and caring friends you never want to lose them but as folks move away.......relationships can be lost frown.gif

Good deeds never go unrewarded! thumbsup2.gif to Shane!

Chris

I agree,even it takes a while.

Congrats on your gift,Shane,and I hope you and the lady can continue to be good friends thumbsup2.gif

-Hayden

Thanks all...this is one of those rare friendships that both parties are always there for each other.....................somehow we will find a way to stay in touch 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks all...this is one of those rare friendships that both parties are always there for each other.....................somehow we will find a way to stay in touch 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You could get hired by PCGS...

27_laughing.gif

i hope for the 2 of you that i'm wrong about the friendship soon to be ended. the decision is hers though as the memories and ties could be too much for her to handle. try to keep an avenue open to her for contact as even if she can't handle it now this may change down the road.

niel

Shane, you mentioned it to be a Tail Bar VAM but I also see that the mint marks appear to be out of line. Is this because of the way coin was scanned/photoed or is this my imagination? Don't know a thing about Morgans but the CC does look crooked. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Shane, you mentioned it to be a Tail Bar VAM but I also see that the mint marks appear to be out of line. Is this because of the way coin was scanned/photoed or is this my imagination? Don't know a thing about Morgans but the CC does look crooked. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Spy, the description of the 1890-CC VAM 4 (Tail Bar) follows:

Obverse: Date set further right than normal. Diagonal die gouge in back of eye.

Reverse: Die gouge from junction of eagle's tail feathers down to wreath. Centered V CC mint mark tilted to right with vertical spikes of metal at the top of both C's just to the left of the serif.

Chris

Yes...the CC does look strange.....but as pointed out...the description in the VAM book pretty much clarifies why the mint mark looks a little odd!!!

Well today was her last day at work and I will actually be out of town next week which is when she is leaving for California.... frown.gif

I am selling some silver for her on Ebay and a few modern commems to help her with gas money......we also took up a collection for her at work and raised over $300 bucks.....that should tell you what a special lady she is cloud9.gif

Yes...the CC does look strange.....but as pointed out...the description in the VAM book pretty much clarifies why the mint mark looks a little odd!!!

Well today was her last day at work and I will actually be out of town next week which is when she is leaving for California.... frown.gif

I am selling some silver for her on Ebay and a few modern commems to help her with gas money......we also took up a collection for her at work and raised over $300 bucks.....that should tell you what a special lady she is cloud9.gif

Be sure to tell her to be careful on the interstates driving through New Mexico and Arizona. Sometimes the highways are cut through the mesas and when you come out the other side, the crosswinds can be real nasty.

Chris

you know what would be really special is if you had the coin certified with his name on the insert and then you could frame it or send it back to her as a momento... that would be special