• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 1992 Penny 1 an a half close AM

8 posts in this topic

Well the first miss it's copper plate.an it took a heavy die break,die crack! .close Am.the next one  I'm not sure it's iffy:).the last one it just looks nice.well I do appreciate all replies and viewing thank you.

IMG_20190727_194208.jpg

IMG_20190727_194134.jpg

IMG_20190727_194317.jpg

IMG_20190727_194348.jpg

IMG_20190727_194451.jpg

IMG_20190727_194724.jpg

They are all Wide AM, I'm not seeing any die breaks or die cracks (they are not the same thing), and the first coin is suffering from severe zinc rot.

Edited by Conder101

Can you explain to me ,please that why is there's extra die material.which is letting and numbers,that appears to be floating around the coin surface.the term rotting zinc! Would it be rotting if it had received a copper coating?

Listen! It takes a lot to offend me,so when you make your theory about my coin. I ask you a Question! You don't get back to me ,Warning! If making a statement about any of my coins .we going to be in science class .show and prove ! .That's why I am here to learn! When you was told the world is flat! Then few years go by,then your told the world is Round! Lol.So ok science class up .:)

When the zinc "rots" and turns to zinc oxide it expands creating a bulge in the copper plating above it

It rots when air and water are able to get to the zinc through tiny cracks or breaks in the copper plating.  Crack in the plating can happen when the coin is struck and the metal expands outward, the stretching of the plating especially around the lettering can over stress the plating allowing it to crack.  Post mint damage can also scratch or break through the plating.